Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this pic on the net and thought I would share it with everyone here. Seems Windows is still years behind....and still stupid

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Does anyone here have anything positive to say about WinXP
I am being pressured into getting an XP box instead of a Powermac.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Heh....what a moron.That would have fit better in the cup holder.

Or at least thats what a pc user told me once.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minnes:
I am being pressured into getting an XP box instead of a Powermac.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, certainly for a PC, it looks pretty, feels pretty. and has almost an OS X-ish feel to some of it.

But I still think a Mac is better. In pretty much every category.

·
Registered
57 Posts
windows xp is good - it's very stable and pretty easy to use. that screen in the picture does not exist.

as for choosing mac vs win - don't fall under peer pressure - they're both great machines and os's so pick the one you want.

·
peek-a-boo
17,324 Posts
I run XP and OS X side by side. I love OS X, and, XP is ok. Win 2000 was far better IMO. That pic doesn't happen in XP setup, but it does sum up Microsoft pretty well. The problem with XP is that everytime your machine farts it tries to connect to the internet and let "Billie Buttons" know what went wrong and why. Too many thinks going on there I think.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
If you come from a Windows enviornment, as Jf has, it's difficult not to like XP; it's how a consumer version of Windows should have been years ago. All in all, it's a very competent OS.

If you come from a Mac envoirnment, you may eventually learn to live with it, but you probably will be frustrated until you invest the time it takes to know & run Windows. I would strongly suggest former Mac users invest in the Professional edition; the Home edition has some limitations you will probably find annoying.

If you've never had a computer before, you will be lost anyway at first, so you won't even know how it could be any different.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
We purchases two licensed copies of Windows XP Office. It's been a nightmare. Every time we open the application (Word, PPT etc) I notice that the computer logs into the internet and then we are asked to verify our password. I have entered this in more than five times already. This slows down the app.

Sheesh. I know that software piracy is a major issue for companies, but this is getting ridiculous.

Consequently, kids have stopped using the programs.

Hum.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Well, certainly for a PC, it looks pretty, feels pretty. and has almost an OS X-ish feel to some of it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could not disagree more. XP is gawdy and takes "tacky" to a whole new level. It is by far the ugliest OS they have ever put out. Big, stupid-looking buttons and a colour scheme that would make Crayola blush. The earlier analogy to Fisher-Price was bang-on the money.

Win 2000 was much better.

Mind you, all Windows OS's bite!

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
I've been using XP for over a year and for the most part of it I've learned to live with the quirks of the OS, Micro$oft still has a long way to go to match the Mac OS but XP is one hell of a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The look of the OS is trivial, especially when Apple choses to favour a brushed steel look on it's apps pioneered by Atari with their 2600. Who cares though? Yeah, XP is hideous, but you can chose a classic look, if you want.

I have my qualms with both OSX and 9 and Windows XP, but in the end, I find that I can function well with both.

If I had to chose, I'd stick with OSX, only because it has been much more stable in my (limited) experiences.

Rade

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Aqua in OS X is nice, XP is like a bad Fisher-Price kock-off. That's just the looks.

XP and 2000 are very nice systems when they are configured and running properly. But once something goes wrong, oh boy watch out! Windows is a NIGHTMARE to troubleshoot.

Also, XP is not UNIX which is a real detriment. Finny how the everyone else is UNIX now and MS is the only one with a "proprietary OS" now. I know a good chunk of OS X is this way as well but you CAN run just Darwin if you like

I still find it funny that after all these years of MS hyping "long file names" that everything in the C:\windows\ directory is till 8.3 file-land. DLL HELL.

Nope, give me a Mac any day, the system is logically laid out (even better in OS X arguably)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
minnes wrote:

I've been using Windows XP for a while now (about a year and a half) and so far it's been a reasonably enjoyable experience. It's fast, it's stable, and it runs most of the applications I want it to run (the notable exception being iTunes). There's the added bonus that the hardware is cheap and fast, which means you can get a current WinXP machine for a lot less than you can get a current OSX machine.

Of course Windows XP has its drawbacks and annoyances (the "My" naming convention, Passport integration, etc), but then again so does every operating system.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
gordguide wrote:
If you come from a Mac envoirnment, you may eventually learn to live with it, but you probably will be frustrated until you invest the time it takes to know & run Windows.

That's true of moving to any OS; it took me a while to get used to the various quirks in Mac OS X.

I would strongly suggest former Mac users invest in the Professional edition; the Home edition has some limitations you will probably find annoying.

What limitations in the Home edition do you think former Mac users will find annoying?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts