Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who thinks Mac OS X is "incomplete" or that we are paying to be beta testers or that there are too many updates and bug fixes... Here is a sobering moment...

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 is out now and here is an article about it.

As a quick summary of some high points:

- This has been "in the works" since October of 2002.
- Has over 650 Security and bug fixes.
- Only 1 announced feature (USB 2.0 support for W2K)

I feel so much better about Mac OS X now. Considering the number of updates we have had since it's is about 1/10th this much.

:cool:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I feel so much better about Mac OS X now. Considering the number of updates we have had since it's is about 1/10th this much.
Not trying to [email protected] anyone off, just pointing some things out.

If OS Xs "number of updates" has been "about 1/10th this much" (as Windows 2000's), than why have Mac users had to shell out so much dough ... CONTINUOUSLY for the past few years!!!

Microsoft Windows 2000:
EVERY service pack and update inbetween has been free since Windows 2000's early Y2K release.

Their 100+MB updates have been available to download -- at least people were givin' this option without being forced to buy/pick up a CD(s) like Apple require(s)(d) with OS X.

Apple Mac OS X:
Now when we look at Apple's OS X and the updates involved, coinage to Apple comes into the equation. Apple's "point releases" are the equivalent of Microsoft's "service packs", yet Apple gouges the consumer whenever a new "point release" comes 'round, yet Microsoft keeps its "service packs" free, allowing people to continue running new apps without being forced to pay and upgrade. Ex. Mac OS 10.0 users are locked out -- they cannot use iChat AV, Safari, iSync, iMovie 3, iTunes 4, Keynote, etc, etc, etc, etc and all kinds of hardware too. They shouldn't have to pay for Apple's mistakes.

They should not have to, yet Apple locks its own users from Apple's own proprietary software, on its own proprietary hardware. Any consumer advocate would consider this unfair.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish Apple was a bit more like Microsoft. :eek:

Yeah, yeah, I've heard the "Apple's a for-profit company". Ummm.. so is Microsoft and basically any company/business out there.

Now where's the love, Apple? Don't you care about your ever-declining marketshare/users?

Damn.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Eh?

Apple has made all of its point releases (e.g., 10.2.x) available free for download. These point releases are comparable to Microsoft's service packs since they fix problems and don't add much (if any) new functionality. Apple only charges if you want to receive the point release on CD (which is fair, considering the manufacturing and shipping costs). I believe Microsoft does the same thing.

Apple's major releases (e.g., Jaguar, Panther) add significant new functionality and improvements, and SHOCK and HORROR, these cost money to develop. If you want to upgrade and take advantage of all the new toys, then you have to pay for these new toys. If you don't feel this cost is justified, then don't pay it, but don't bitch and moan that you're not able to play with the latest and greatest toys.

Really, if you're this unhappy with Apple, then let them know with your wallet! Either don't upgrade to Panther or go out and switch to a different operating system.

·
Registered
507 Posts
jpoole - couldn't have said it better.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
It's been said many times before. Windows is a virus. They are allways trying to protect against exploits. I watched a show and people (not employees) actualy spend time hacking into windows and then email them to let them know they comprimised Windows.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
EVERY time I have installed a service pack on my WinXP monstrosity at work (and my previous Win98 box), it's done something to my system. Trashed some preferences, done funny things to icons, made the system hang, killed WordPerfect, disabled password protection, bla bla blaaaaa. All for free.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Tomac,

www.futureshop.ca

They have some nice PC's for you to chose from here, mabey one of these will cure your woes with Apple

·
Registered
259 Posts
Heeeelllllll no!!! I not in any way/form going to pick up some crap PC. I'm just annoyed with Apple's nasty pricing scheme for updates. They also basically render the OS and iApps obsolete every year with each 10.x release.

Steve Jobs words to developers at the 2003 WWDC:

Jaguar is over.
I'm just waiting until the time is right -- Panther is pre-installed or "almost" free to upgrade to when I buy a new machine.

The consumer deserves more respect than they're currently getting from Apple. That is all.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Am I the only one that's starting to get tired of the bitching and moaning about Apple's OS pricing?

Apple is in business to make money. Apple also has a small[1] user base over which to amortize their OS development costs. Either Apple releases cheaper updates with fewer features or more expensive updates with more features[2]. Apple is doing the latter rather than the former since they're trying to differentiate Mac OS X from Windows (where nothing new and exciting seems to have happened in a while).

As I've said before, Apple's not forcing users to upgrade to Panther; if Panther's feature set isn't compelling, then don't upgrade! Bitching and moaning about it isn't going to solve anything, though.

[1] Small compared to Microsoft's user base.

[2] Of course, Apple could release feature-filled updates for free, but that's not a good way to remain profitable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts