Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is from the abebook.ca website. The book selling inventory (HomeBase) software is windows based only. I will need to purchase and install Win 10 on my new MB Pro/SSD 256 What are the pros and cons? Will installing Win10 do any harm? I'm just nervous about this and should I go ahead with this what degree of HD do I assign to Windows? I don't understand the answer below; intel-based Mac, virtual PC.

Thanks

Q: Will HomeBase 3.0 work on a Mac computer?

A: HomeBase 3.0 is compatible with Windows computers only. Mac users who have virtual PC installed or who are using a newer intel-based Mac with Windows installed should be able to use HomeBase 3.0.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
There is no issue running Windows on a Mac. I would recommend buying Parallels and installing Windows that way. No need to partition your drive and it gets backed up with your TimeMachine or whatever backup you use. Been running Win 7 for years on my iMac this way.

https://www.parallels.com/ca/

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Below is from the abebook.ca website. The book selling inventory (HomeBase) software is windows based only. I will need to purchase and install Win 10 on my new MB Pro/SSD 256 What are the pros and cons? Will installing Win10 do any harm? I'm just nervous about this and should I go ahead with this what degree of HD do I assign to Windows? I don't understand the answer below; intel-based Mac, virtual PC.

Thanks
You could download VirtualBox (free) and install Windows 10 in it, then only install HomeBase 3.0 in that. The advantage is that you'll require less space vs. using boot camp and you don't need to reboot into windows just to use the one application.

Disadvantage is that it could be very sluggish (as it would be with Paralells) if you don't have enough RAM in your MBP. I'd suggest minimum 8GB.

Other option is of course to install boot camp, and install windows 10 using it. It would be faster. But you need more drive space free, and you need to run either windows, or mac os x.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
You could download VirtualBox (free) and install Windows 10 in it, then only install HomeBase 3.0 in that. The advantage is that you'll require less space vs. using boot camp and you don't need to reboot into windows just to use the one application.

Disadvantage is that it could be very sluggish (as it would be with Paralells) if you don't have enough RAM in your MBP. I'd suggest minimum 8GB.

Other option is of course to install boot camp, and install windows 10 using it. It would be faster. But you need more drive space free, and you need to run either windows, or mac os x.
Any MacBook Pro with enough ram and a flash drive should run Windows 7/10 very quickly in Parallels. I would avoid bootcamp myself, especially if just one app you need to use. You will have to partition your drive (all done automatically with bootcamp) and take space away for the install, with parallels you use what you need and everything again is backed up with time machine.

I remember VirtualBox being a bit more complicated to use, maybe it is different now? Parallels is dead simple and gets the job done with no fuss. I run Parallels on my 5K iMac using Windows 7, never have any slow downs though my machine is a monster with everything maxed out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts