Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday, 16th August 2007, the Skype peer-to-peer network became unstable and suffered a critical disruption. The disruption was triggered by a massive restart of our users’ computers across the globe within a very short timeframe as they re-booted after receiving a routine set of patches through Windows Update.

The high number of restarts affected Skype’s network resources. This caused a flood of log-in requests, which, combined with the lack of peer-to-peer network resources, prompted a chain reaction that had a critical impact.
Heartbeat

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In one of the many sites discussing this, a poster noted something that I didn't know: If you have Windows Update set to auto-download and auto-install updates, Windows waits until 3:00am, two days later, to actually install the update, which would correspond with the Thursday blackout.

...knowing nothing about Windows Update, I don't know if he's nailed it, or blowing smoke up our....

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't think Skype folks blame MS in this article, but just explain how the issue happened, and the MS update may just have been the trigger that showed some flaws with their own software.
So I understand from reading this article that some issues in Skype's software caused the actual outage, not the MS updates.

·
Registered
236 Posts
In one of the many sites discussing this, a poster noted something that I didn't know: If you have Windows Update set to auto-download and auto-install updates, Windows waits until 3:00am, two days later, to actually install the update, which would correspond with the Thursday blackout.

...knowing nothing about Windows Update, I don't know if he's nailed it, or blowing smoke up our....
Speaking for Vista (I can't remember for XP) the updater checks everyday, if it misses the scheduled check, as soon as it can it will check and update. I believe XP SP2 checked weekly, and updated as soon as it could.

Seeing as the outage happened on Thursday at a specific time, I think it's unlikely that it was due to MS update, within 15 mins of boot-up they would have been asked to update, and only "critical updates" require a reboot, Vista didn't require a reboot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts