Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this information on RedFlagDeals.com:
Willow Designs Closing Sale

Sad that this Burnaby-based company is closing up after being a Mac supplier since 1988. The prices are certainly a premium for the average user.

At Willow, we have been producing laptop, notebook and larger computer carrying cases since 1988, focusing on providing the highest standard of protection, comfort and durability. Willow is the only manufacturer to make a range of cases to protect all the current range of Apple products and accessories.

All our cases are hand sewn in small batches by individual seamstresses so with all of them, you can count on superb protection, functional ergonomic designs and meticulous craftsmanship.

This is an expensive way to make the cases though, and with increased competition of offshore, manufactured cases run through with labor rates of 22¢ - 25¢ per hour, we found we just couldn't compete. Two options would have been to drop our standards or ship our production offshore -- neither of which was acceptable. So we have decided to stop making the cases.

So this sale is your last chance to get the quality, protection and durability of one of our cases at huge savings. The quality is to the same standard that we have always prided ourselves on since 1988. The following list is what we have available and will be reduced as we run out of colors and models.

Thanks to everyone over the years since 1988 who've got cases and for all the wonderful feedback and correspondence - it was the best part of making our cases.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Unfortunate and a real shame, I wish them luck. I hate to see any Canadian business close, but one that makes Apple accessories makes it that much more difficult.

I just ordered one of their slipcases for my 12" PB, call it, my way of saying farewell. They're going out gracefully and with class...not just disappearing.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Too bad. After buying a Willow case for my PB G4 3 yrs ago I swore I'd never buy a case from anyone else. It still looks brand new after travelling to several European countries, many US states and back and forth to work on my bicycle! If only I knew what my next portable was going to be, I'd scoop up deal for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
The company deserved to be commended on its decision not to fall to the evils of the market and use exploited or child labor to their advantage!

They get praise from me for this!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
:(

Too bad. That's a real bummer.

Kind of pi$$e$ me off to actually. The mass market always pushes cheap, cheap, cheap. It seems there is less and less room for quality, well crafted products. So many people just care about the bottom line, and can't see the forrest through the trees, or understand the premise of value even if it smucked them right in the face.

Here's to Willow Designs... One classy Canadian company.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
"The mass market always pushes cheap, cheap, cheap."

You said it, Mr. Mayor!

... exactly why I'm closing my print & graphic business as of this coming Friday... moving on to "greener pastures"!

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I have forwarded the story to rabble, walrus magazine, and adbusters..
This is hats off to a classy company...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts