Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I am not duplicating something here, but I ran across this story at Ars today and did not recall hearing these specifics in the keynote. Basically, Apple appears to have removed part of the Boot Camp description that is leading to the following speculation:

Best of all, though, is a feature that seems to have been removed from the Apple site (at the time of writing): no rebooting is required.

That's right, no pesky restarts to get into Windows. Instead, the Apple menu will have a "Restart into Windows" option, which will put your Mac into a "safe sleep" state, then boot Windows. Over on the other side, you'll be able to Hibernate your Windows install, then switch back to OS X right where you left off. In fact, you can do this all day long, switching from sleeping OS to hibernating OS until you feel like a nap yourself.

Boot Camp under Leopard won't be the virtualization solution that some people were hoping for, but the ability to get into unadulterated Windows quickly means that the new Boot Camp has the advantages over Parallels and VMware for some users.
Apple may have the last laugh as Parallels and VMware duke it out

If this turns out to be true, and not just a mistake on the revised Apple page, that sounds pretty sweet.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Well... you do reboot, hence the "Restart into Windows" -- but this time Leopard will take advantage of the "Deep Sleep Saved State" that's already built into all the intel macs -- whereby they write an image of what's happening in the user's computer to the HD so that when you restart back into MacOS X, you can just start working again as if you never left.

If you have an intel MacBook/Pro, you can try this right now.

1. Close/Sleep your computer.
2. Wait until the light starts pulsing on the front
3. Remove the battery
4. Wait 30 seconds
5. Replace battery
6. Turn on System
7. Watch as your desktop boots up just as before.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
The deep sleep function on my MBP scared the crap out of me when it first happened. My battery ran out once and when I plugged it back in, it started up in this sleep mode. For those of you who haven't seen it, you basically see your desktop while it's restoring, but with a frosted glass effect on it. Did I mention it was winter when this happened, and I just came in from the cold? I thought my LCD had frozen. :eek: :D

Anyway, if this comes out in Leopard, it will be a nice bonus feature. I'm tired of restarting my system just to test a webpage in IE for 10 seconds.

A7

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Parallels ain't free. ;) And I'm cheap.

Plus some of my web stuff is webcam/graphics intensive, and I couldn't get the iSight working under Parallels no matter what I tried.

A7

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Deep sleep status restore is the lead in for the flash drive scenario coming soon to a Mac near you. :clap:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apple may have the last laugh as Parallels and VMware duke it out
:rolleyes:

It's a cool trick, but the writer appears to be ignorant of virtualization. Daily I have one XP instance running, one Linux instance running, AND I'm running NeoOffice, iTunes, e-Mail, &c. on OS X. Simultaneously.

Sure, for a certain segment of the population the sleep-n-switch will be great, but until Apple gets into the virtualization market, it's a non-issue to some of us.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Yeah -- I read that too. It'll be interesting to see if this feature is in the Leopard Beta that was handed out at WWDC though.

I thought I read something on ArsTechnica about it being a feature that developers were playing with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts