Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Will you be celebrating Earth Hour this evening?

• Yes

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 71.7%
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I go out of my way to make sure that every light and electronic device in the house is ON during earth hour.

In Manitoba our electricity is hydro generated, and it's publicly owned. It's clean energy, and the more we use the more money the province makes. The last thing I want to see is use of hydro power discouraged.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
I go out of my way to make sure that every light and electronic device in the house is ON during earth hour.

In Manitoba our electricity is hydro generated, and it's publicly owned. It's clean energy, and the more we use the more money the province makes. The last thing I want to see is use of hydro power discouraged.
In the larger picture, that makes absolutely no sense. If Manitoba existed in a vacuum, perhaps.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
In the larger picture, that makes absolutely no sense. If Manitoba existed in a vacuum, perhaps.
How does the larger picture have any bearing on our situation? We use hydro power. It's clean, it's renewable. What's the premise for shutting the lights off? Because an activist group whose credibility is barely a step above PETA said so?

·
Canuck of Enlightenment
949 Posts
I will not be participating in Earth Hour. There are better things I can do for the environment without jumping on every band wagon.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm certainly not a bandwagon jumper either but I personally like the idea of Earth Hour.

If nothing else it gets you away from all the distracting, isolating elements and maybe, just maybe brings people together. If in that time the topic of conservation is brought up, even better.

I'll be enjoying the view of the skyline from the portlands tonight. I'm sure it will not disappoint.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
How does the larger picture have any bearing on our situation? We use hydro power. It's clean, it's renewable. What's the premise for shutting the lights off? Because an activist group whose credibility is barely a step above PETA said so?
I don't want to be rude, but, you're a fool! The whole point of the event is to raise awareness to people (like you!!) who can't see past their own backyard towards climate change world wide, not discourage the use of clean electricity. The ignorance in your responses simply perpetuates the continued need for events like this.

·
Vapour Trail
1,424 Posts
Perhaps the many idiots in my neighbourhood still burning Xmas lights, will douse them for an hour this evening.

In our house, we're mindful of the issue all year round and have modified our behaviour correspondingly. We will not be "hopping on the bandwagon".

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I don't want to be rude, but, you're a fool! The whole point of the event is to raise awareness to people (like you!!) who can't see past their own backyard towards climate change world wide, not discourage the use of clean electricity.
As long as we are not wanting to be rude but still calling people names anyway, a fool in my book is someone who thinks that turning your lights off for an hour has any effect on climate. It's an empty gesture done to facilitate liberal guilt over a false premise.

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
I don't want to be rude, but, you're a fool! The whole point of the event is to raise awareness to people (like you!!) who can't see past their own backyard towards climate change world wide, not discourage the use of clean electricity. The ignorance in your responses simply perpetuates the continued need for an events like this.
And I don't mean to be rude either, but if everyone did what we do there would be no need for knee jerk organizations to promote turning off lights for a single hour a year. That's bullsh!t.

I turn off every appliance and light that is not needed year round. And it's lights out and bedtime at 9:30 p.m. every day. Practicing power conservation year round every single day makes this useless exercise to make a bunch of greens feel good look as silly as it really is.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
As long as we are not wanting to be rude but still calling people names anyway, a fool in my book is someone who thinks that turning your lights off for an hour has any effect on climate. It's an empty gesture done to facilitate liberal guilt over a false premise.
You're not doing anything to help your cause or make yourself look any better. The point isn't to have an immediate effect on the climate by turning your lights off, no more than cycling or running will immediately cure cancer, but is to RAISE AWARENESS (something you are clearly in need of!) towards climate change issues world wide. It's a symbolic gesture to get people thinking... Something perhaps you need to do some more of.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
And I don't mean to be rude either, but if everyone did what we do there would be no need for knee jerk organizations to promote turning off lights for a single hour a year. That's bullsh!t.

I turn off every appliance and light that is not needed year round. And it's lights out and bedtime at 9:30 p.m. every day. Practicing power conservation year round every single day makes this useless exercise to make a bunch of greens feel good look as silly as it really is.
You are also missing the point, SINC. It is about raising awareness to the need to take action against climate change globally. While energy conservation is an important part of lessening climate change -- and something we should all be doing anyway -- the event is symbolic to encourage awareness to a large number of people (bsenka for one, who is going to be turning all his lights on!) who are not aware of a) the issue, and b) what you can do.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
You're not doing anything to help your cause or make yourself look any better. The point isn't to have an immediate effect on the climate by turning your lights off, no more than cycling or running will immediately cure cancer, but is to RAISE AWARENESS (something you are clearly in need of!) towards climate change issues world wide. It's a symbolic gesture to get people thinking... Something perhaps you need to do some more of.
There's a major difference in that cancer is real.

·
Premium Member
17,859 Posts

^^^ +1 ^^^
You will notice that the same folks that are aware that the ManMade Global Warming Scam is a cash grab by the Gore Gang and Big Government, are the same ones that already practice conservation.

The reason is quite simple: Not only do we oppose giving our money to the Gore Gang or the Government, we also oppose needlessly enriching the Utility groups.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
:rolleyes: Ignorance is bliss... clearly!

(Unsubscribing from this thread.)

·
Premium Member
43,041 Posts
This event is actually embarrassing to me in the same was I found it embarrassing in Kindergarten to see the kids willingly do a dance as dumb as the "Hokey-Pokey."

Event the use of the term "celebrate" in relation to Earth Hour is astonishing to me. Like asking people in WWII if they would celebrate meat rationing. I will use the same amount of light I always use, because using any more or any less will show that I'm paying attention to it.

The fact that modern civilization has brought us unlimited use of light at any point we need it is something to celebrate, Turning it off? Not so much.

·
peek-a-boo
17,353 Posts
absolutely. Only a fool would think turning your lights off for an hour will have a direct effect on the earth's climate.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.