Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm aware that all the Power Mac G5's have this version of Mac OS X (10.2.7), but am wondering if non-G5 users will get the patch eventually as well? With the release of Panther (v10.3) in a short time ahead, I'm thinking not, but is there a possibility? Or is the 10.2.7 just a optimization for the G5 processor and therefore is useless to non-G5 Macs?

·
Registered
160 Posts
There's talk of 10.2.8 being seeded to developers, so I would say yes, or we will skip 10.2.7 and jump right to 10.2.8.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm, well 10.2.8 would be just as good. :cool:

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
My guess is that we won't get 10.2.7 as that was created specifically for the G5 Machines. As RubberGorilla mentioned, it has been rumored that 10.2.8 has been seeded to developers, and this will probably be the next version of MacOS that non-G5 users will see.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
My guess is that we won't get 10.2.7 as that was created specifically for the G5 Machines.
Maybe...but by that line of reasoning, it would be just as likely that Panther would have to be made available in a separate G5 version. I don't think that's likely to happen, so my guess (and it's just that) is that 10.2.7 just has a few extra tweaks that only G5 machines can take advantage of. We'll see soon enough, I suspect.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
What I meant by that 10.2.7 was for G5's only, is that it probably will appear only on G5's because all it has is tweaks for the G5. Whereas 10.2.8 has the tweaks for the G5, and other general changes/improvements to the MacOS.

Why distribute 10.2.7 when it has no changes/improvements that would be of use to anyone except G5 users?

As far as Panther is concerned, there will only be one version available and it will work on a G3,G4, G5, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
10.2.7 was largely for G5 users, as it wasn't 10.2.6 because it included bug fixes and such that weren't in the normal version of 10.2.6. Then for the next set of bug fixes (mostly under the hood stuff most of us wouldn't even have a clue about), they can't release 10.2.7 to everyone, as that would confuse many G5 owners who just got 10.2.7, so thats how the version number has jumped to 10.2.8.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want 10.2.8 just ask....
Considering it's not publicly available, would this be legal?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I don't think they would update the OS again prior to 10.3 unless there is a new Powerbook or something.. there could be a new OS on the new iMacs too to support all the new technology called USB 2.0...

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Lars - Since it would technically violate the NDA of being a member of ADC, yes. Does that stop it from leaking? Not a chance. The WWDC build of Panther was available maybe 6 hours after it was given to the public (that should be about right for someone at the keynote, to get hold of their copy, rip it, and set up a torrent along with taking in a seminar).

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I guess it would be illeagal if I actually hosted it, but I'm not. Alas the link has disappeared so you'll just have to wait till apple releases it.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Assuming Apple does release it.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Lars - Then why would they have it in the development seed asking developers to test the improvements in Bluetooth, USB support, etc.?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts