Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to News.Com.Com they will no longer be available as downloads. I hope that changes before the release date, making at least iPhoto 4 free because iPhoto 2 is such a beast.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
It does not say that Apple made a statement to that effect. Maybe this is like when they reported that Apple would not fix security bugs in Jaguar once Panther was out.

However, last year at MWSF they were very clear about what was free and what was not free. I'm thinking that they were just as clear this time, i.e. iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie are free with a new Mac, no more, no less.
This kind of thing happens on the PalmOS platform all the time; an example would be ThinkDB. This way they don't make you pay for products until they're really mature, yet they make sure that you will buy them because the program becomes part of your life.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
I believe that the entire iLife 04 suite is "free" with a new Mac (inc. iDVD and Garageband). I doubt that iPhoto or iMovie will be free anymore and I wonder how iLife 04 will be distributed with new Macs (as a software restore only disk or as the retail disk).

BTW, if you buy a new Mac over the next month or so, you'll have to lay out another $30 for the up-to-date program to get iLife 04. I just ordered it from the Canadian Apple store. Delivery by or on Jan 16. C$59 + tax and $6 shipping.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i can't find a clear answer....

thanks, p.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
When the original iLife came last year, Apple was considering the same idea as now, that the iPhoto and iMovie updates would also not be free.

I believe that at least the iPhoto update should be free, (iTunes will always be free), and the iMovie one would be nice. Though with a new app (GarageBand) its possible Apple is thinking most people will buy iLife 04, and by not allowing those updates it will cause those who are reluctant to buy it anyway.

There won't be any official word until the 16th I believe. And then you'll be able to see whether you could get the updates for free.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder how iLife 04 will be distributed with new Macs

If they follow suit with their usual practices, starting about right now they will just throw the retail disk into the boxes of already manufactured machines and in about a months time or so (maybe a bit more) it will be on the restore CD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts