Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 700MHz FP iMac with 384MB of RAM. If I were to add a 512MB RAM chip how much of a performance gain would I see? I normally work on my G4/867/1.2GB of RAM and I find I'm staring at the spinning beachball a lot on the iMac. Is it worth the upgrade?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I've always seen an improvent under Mac OS X when I've added more RAM. Unless you have more than 2 GB of RAM, then maybe you won't notice an improvement by adding more. ;)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
iLabmAn, how's that iMac of yours holding up? I have a iMac like yours as well with 640 MB of RAM. I wonder if iMacs like ours will be worth keeping still for a while to come? (assuming you've already thrown a ton of upgrades into it.)

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Ram makes a huge difference, anywhere up to about 768MB (1x 256 & 1x 512, or 3x 256) should be instantly noticeable.

After that, the improvement isn't as big, but still shows up if you do video, audio or large image files. If that's your bag, go with 1GB or more.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok next question is how do I upgrade the ram on this iMac. I opened the back panel and all I saw was the 256MB RAM chip the PO had put in. Is the 128MB chip that came with the machine removable?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts