Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the upgraded bug and am lusting after the middle of the line G5. But alas finances dictate that it not coming for a least a year.

I run a lot of grahic apps such as, indesign illustrator photoshop + fireworks and dreamweaver.

I checked in proccess viewer and usually I have some RAM free at all times (usually between around 100mb). My question is: I have 768 now, if I add another 512 will my system take advantage of the extra ram? Or will it try to conserve it?

Basically I am trying to figure out if there is a cheap way of adding more life to my machine or not?

Also how much is 512 worth now adays? Does anyone have a spare chip kicking around that they want to sell to a poor overworked underpayed middle class working man?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Hey there, I have 1 gig of ram in my dual 800 tower and it's all 2-2-2 ram..it flies with 1 gig of Ram...but I also don't use those programs you have on a regular basis. I mainly use itunes, toast for some burning...imovie, iphoto, idvd and it doesn't really ever get bogged down. The price of Ram for a 512 meg PC-133 is around $150 in Alberta + 7% tax :D ...but on the used market you can get it around $100 or so...and there is one guy on this list that has some...I just have to remember who! will post if I remember...Mark

·
Registered
273 Posts
Nick, if you are running with all these applications open at the same time than the answer to your question is yes more ram will speed up your G4 533. Photoshop is the ram pig of all time next to Final Cut Pro. Do you have a good size SCRATCH disk set up in your Photoshop preferences to help speed up your work flow? I have partitioned my hard drive to give a dedicated 6 gig partition just for the scratch disk. I never store anything on it, it's only for photoshop to buffer with its work.
It looks as though PC133 RAM prices have gone up a bit in the last few weeks. Doesn't this always happen before Christmas? Wait till the new year and prices should go down a bit. Try and go to your local PC/WINDOWZ store and check out how much generic PC 133 ram costs. It's usually way cheaper than getting through authorized MAC sources. Sometimes the PC stores generic ram can actually be a good name brand depending on what their stock is. I've lucked out many times and bought Samsung ram at PC stores for much cheaper than a local Apple store here in Toronto.
OS X Panther is utilising a lot of the ram in the powermacs as well. At work we use G4s of all different models and they all have at least 1.5 gigs of ram installed in them. We all noticed how much better they performed after the upgrade from standard base configurations.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts