Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Glass Panel Screen is Breakable

On the website, Apple claims the glass panels are Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, the glass is ultradurable and more scratch resistant than ever; however, iFixyouri conducted a drop test and the glass panel shattered after three flat drops.

2. Decrease Signal Strength if Held With Left-Hand
The stainless steel band functions as an antenna, but if held in the left-hand, the user will lose reception. Anandtech completed an experiment by replacing signal bars with a numeric signal strength indicator and found that when the iPhone4 is grasped tightly, it significantly loses signal strength more so than the iPhone 3GS and HTC Nexus One. Steve Jobs, addressed this issue by saying “There is no reception issue. Stay Tuned”.

Protecting your new iPhone 4 with a case can minimize these issues, but will Apple officially address these issues or fix them before Canadians receive their iPhone 4s? And do these issues make you think twice before making a purchase?

Will Canada get a better built iPhone 4? | Tech Blog | Blogs | Toronto Sun

·
Registered
503 Posts
well to be quite honest with you, I was counting the days for the release date, HOWEVER, with the annoying silence about the release date, the continuous issues that keeps popping up with the iphone 4, and most importantly, the arrogant way-in my humble opinion- that apple addressed all these issues, Blackberry Storm 2 keeps getting more and more attractive.
I'm still waiting for the iphone though, but at one point in the next couple of months if things are not cleared, I'm done.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah, but on the other hand, the UI and everything else on the Storm 2 sucks, badly.

We will probably get the iP4 with the updated firmware, depending on when exactly it is released, and when the firmware fix is released. Some of the other problems being reported (yellow blotches on screen, or poor color from the still camera) have been investigated, and some seem to resolve themselves (yellow blotches on screen are caused by glue still not completely dry) or will be fixed by other software patches (camera color rendition), sometime after the signal strength calculation patch is released. I would think that the signal strength firmware patch has the highest priority right now.

Kostas

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd go with something else but no one else has the best app store, plus i've spend up to $300 on the apps i've got so its not worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
If I was forced to guess what Apple is going to do in the short term, I'd be inclined to go with them including a rubber bumper with each iPhone4. They've already started doing this for some corporate customers in the US.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm probably as ignorant as could be when it comes to antenna engineering, but
1- why didn't apple use any isolation on the antenna like anybody would've expected.
2- what's stopping them now from doing this now?
I suppose some folk, including me, would want to enjoy the phone without those"ugly" bumpers! the phone is way more elegant..

·
Registered
865 Posts
Jeez... do not believe all you read...

well to be quite honest with you, I was counting the days for the release date, HOWEVER, with the annoying silence about the release date, the continuous issues that keeps popping up with the iphone 4, and most importantly, the arrogant way-in my humble opinion- that apple addressed all these issues, Blackberry Storm 2 keeps getting more and more attractive.
I'm still waiting for the iphone though, but at one point in the next couple of months if things are not cleared, I'm done.
If I had believed all I read, I would NOT have bought a Mac clone way back in 1996!

Or Apple shares in 2002!

AppleInsider | Consumer Reports: signal issues not unique iPhone 4, no reason not to buy (u)

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Well, it does bring to mind a rather salient fact: you can now purchase the iPhone 3GS for half the price that you could just a couple months ago. Fine phone, even without the retina display, dual cameras, and what not. Works great with iOS 4 too.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yup!

Well, it does bring to mind a rather salient fact: you can now purchase the iPhone 3GS for half the price that you could just a couple months ago. Fine phone, even without the retina display, dual cameras, and what not. Works great with iOS 4 too.
A very astute observation mate!

But it is the data/plans that are the REAL cost! The capital outlay for phone itself is but 15% of the COMMITMENT or less!

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
True true. Still, a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Gad I wish people would just shut up about the fake antenna problem already.

Antenna Expert: Apple is Right, iPhone 4 Signal Woes Overblown - PCWorld

When frickin' PC WORLD says this whole thing is a huge non-issue, when CONSUMER REPORTS says the bottom line is that the unwashed masses don't understand physics but do understand mass hysteria, and when APPLE says the real problem is AT&T sucks in a lot of places, I think the "issue" is as dead and buried as the "question" of OJ Simpson's guilt.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts

Antenna Expert: Apple is Right, iPhone 4 Signal Woes Overblown - PCWorld

When frickin' PC WORLD says this whole thing is a huge non-issue, when CONSUMER REPORTS says the bottom line is that the unwashed masses don't understand physics but do understand mass hysteria, and when APPLE says the real problem is AT&T sucks in a lot of places, I think the "issue" is as dead and buried as the "question" of OJ Simpson's guilt.
Wait a minute...wasn't Orenthal James not guilty? Liable, yes; guilty, no.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That guy on PC World is the same guy they interviewed on TWiT (twit.tv). I notice in the comments of the pc world article that he gets slammed for not mentioning AnandTech's results. On the twit podcast he actually does talk about the AnandTech results. Atleast on TWIT, ee also does not come across as an Apple shill, though he does admit that he has ordered an iphone 4.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Well i agree - tired of waiting and with the issues, I've decided to not upgrade am ordered the AppleCare for my 3GS as the warranty is just about up.

I've been recommending the 3GS
To friend and family. The new ios rejuvenates it a bit and it's $99 with a plan

Cheers
Keebler

·
Registered
889 Posts
Agreed. From what I understand the masses complaining aren't even iPhone 4 owners, they're just haters looking to jump on Apple for some reason. What cell phone are they using that allowed them to never drop a call?

·
Registered
497 Posts
One other point I'd throw out there;

I don't know about you guys, but I can count the times I have seen anything BUT full bars on one hand. Ditto for dropped calls (and all of those were to other cell phones, so who's to say for sure it was my phone). Canada in general has very good wireless coverage and very strong wireless coverage. While the antenna Death Grip issue does seem to be, in fact, an issue, I do wonder how much it would affect us up here, since it's been shown to only really be an issue in low signal strength areas, I believe.

In other words, any news on when I can go buy it? :D

·
Unreasonably Happy Man
1,059 Posts
personally, I am very happy with my 3GS. The fact that I can't upgrade at this point due to my contract is a gift from the technology goddess.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts