Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Apple has put up the rate plans for the iPhone. Does anyone think that this will help us out when the iPhone rolls out here? I need some sort of comfort that we will not be raped by Rogers when the time comes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rogers Blows

This is my first post on ehmac -- so go easy on me :)

First of all, I really don't believe Rogers will have the iPhone in Canada until sometime in (late) 2008. I know a few people who are working there and there is really nothing happening on that front. This is coming from the top -- there is no desire to get that product here anytime soon. Remember how long it took to get the iTunes music store here? I think the same slow progress will happen with the iPhone -- and Rogers will even slow it further.

This new activation system/rate plans are very interesting. I see two options for us early adopters/mac-heads who don't want to wait for a year.

1) Can you buy a iPhone in the states and activate it here with your Canadian iTunes account? The rate plans are very good; with an additional $15/month for a local VOIP phone number sent to your phone the total cost is reasonable -- assume that there is no extra cost for roaming. I think the airtime should be fine; however, I know other plans charge data roaming in Canada.

2) There is this:

http://www.puremobile.ca/Apple/Apple-iPhone-Black-GSM-Phone/

If that price is less than $900 CND for an unlocked phone I would buy one of the 8GB phones.

Of course there is a third option, we can start our own cell phone company. I believe there are provisions in the CRTC regulations that, with the proper setup, Rogers must provided access to their network for fair competition (just like FIDO had until Rogers decided that they were doing too well and had to buy them out). I think we could easily sell 100K phones in our first year, provided a revenue of over $100M for our first year. Does anyone have $10M VC funds laying around? I can rough out the business plan this afternoon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts