Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an Airport card working in this baby (using it now, as a matter of fact). Will the new Extreme card fit in this thing?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Well, that is a very good question. I don't think that it will...it is a different shape...and seems to be wider than the original card.

For your sake, I hope that I am wrong.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
IF you search really really hard on Apple's site you find the statement "System Requirements:* Requires AirPort Extreme ready system. AirPort Extreme cards cannot be used in older AirPort card bays (PCMCIA form factor slot). "

So no you cannot put it in a Pismo. You would also need a new Airport base station if you have an old one.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
RicktheChemist wrote:
I would presume that the card would be compatible with the PCMCIA slots on the Mac, but that would be a really good question to ask Linksys, but they do not support Macintosh.

Yeah, but you'll need driver support for the card in Mac OS X. I poked around a bit more and it looks like LinkSys only supports recent versions of Windows.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
RicktheChemist wrote:
Have to wait for a Third Party Card.. I wonder if the PCMCIA slot can handle the extra transfer rate?

After spending some time with Google, it sounds like the PCMCIA bus can handle about 400Mbps, so yes, a PCMCIA card could handle an AirPort EXTREME! card without any problems. Which makes sense, since I've seem 100Mbps PCMCIA network cards.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
RicktheChemist wrote:
Have to wait for a Third Party Card

LinkSys already has 802.11g kit available. No idea if it's compatible with Mac OS, though (I'd be surprised if it was, actually).

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Proxim probably will bring out some 802.11g cards as well; Asanté too.

Also, the Cardslots on the TiBooks and Pismo PowerBooks are CardBus compliant, so yes, they very much so can handle the through put.

Linksys does not support any flavour of Mac OS with any of their products. I have heard mumblings of a few of their 802.11b cards working in some powerbooks, but when I questioned the perveyours of the mumblings all I was able to get was misdirecting half answers or blank can;t-think-of-a-believeable-answer-fast-enough stares.

What confounds me is why would they go with a different form factor from the existing Airport cards and exclude all of us existing users? Then again, this isn;t exactly the first time Apple has told those users who dont have the latest and greatest toys that they can't play. Also, it is a great selling point for the PowerBooks which have a much better margin than the iBooks.

Anyway, yes, there will be solutions for existing PowerBook users, its iBook users (such as myself) that I am not so sure about.

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Originally posted by PosterBoy:
Linksys does not support any flavour of Mac OS with any of their products. I have heard mumblings of a few of their 802.11b cards working in some powerbooks, but when I questioned the perveyours of the mumblings all I was able to get was misdirecting half answers or blank can;t-think-of-a-believeable-answer-fast-enough stares.

You *might* be able to get a LinkSys card working if there is another card out there that's supported under Mac OS X and that has the same chipset as the LinkSys cards. That sort of trick has worked for Linux, so it might work for Mac OS X as well.

What confounds me is why would they go with a different form factor from the existing Airport cards and exclude all of us existing users?

I had a hunch that Apple had moved to MiniPCI, but the connectors look different (there's a notch in the Airport EXTREME! card but not one in the Prism card).

Anyway, yes, there will be solutions for existing PowerBook users, its iBook users (such as myself) that I am not so sure about.

What I'd really like to see is a solution that will fit in the internal AirPort slot of my PowerBook. It's nice not having something dangling out of your PCMCIA slot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts