Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not changed a thing on my MacbookPro (Yosemite) in four months, but since just before Christmas, it's been constantly dropping my WiFi connection. The bars remain solid, but there's no connection. It's easy enough to get connected again by switching off WiFi and switching it back on again, and I'd go along with that solution except that the connection will drop again, often just a minute later. It will drop a dozen times or more in a day, more frequently in the evening.

Is this a known issue with Yosemite? Is there a fix? Is the connection any more stable under El Capitan? It's an annoyance I'd like to get rid of. Do any of you know how to fix this?

·
Registered
466 Posts
How about the possibility that the wifi unit is the culprit? Every once in a while I have to restart mine before connection will occur.

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
I had a similar issue with wifi on my DSL network and Telus advised me to change the channel on the router. I did that and the issue was resolved. I have over two dozen networks in my neighbourhood and finding a channel with less traffic not only increased stability, but speed as well.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I had the very same issue on my 5K iMac. My network connection would drop, no internet but wifi showed full bars. Was the only iMac at work that did this so I know it was not the network. I upgraded to El Capitan about a month ago and have not had that issue since.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I had the very same issue on my 5K iMac. My network connection would drop, no internet but wifi showed full bars. Was the only iMac at work that did this so I know it was not the network. I upgraded to El Capitan about a month ago and have not had that issue since.
That is a blatant DNS issue. Have you tried Google DNS (8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4 secondary) or any of the Open DNS variants?

A typical Yosemite issue in some rare cases, too. Glad you have the issue resolved now wtih El Cap!

e.g.:Why DNS in OS X 10.10 is broken, and what you can do to fix it | Ars Technica

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
That is a blatant DNS issue. Have you tried Google DNS (8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4 secondary) or any of the Open DNS variants?

A typical Yosemite issue in some rare cases, too. Glad you have the issue resolved now wtih El Cap!

e.g.:Why DNS in OS X 10.10 is broken, and what you can do to fix it | Ars Technica
DNS for sure, not sure changing DNS servers will help (for very long.)

discoveryd was so buggy it was dropped in El Capitain, and mdsnresponder returned. I haven't had issues since, but Yosemite was a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I've not changed a thing on my MacbookPro (Yosemite) in four months, but since just before Christmas, it's been constantly dropping my WiFi connection. The bars remain solid, but there's no connection. It's easy enough to get connected again by switching off WiFi and switching it back on again, and I'd go along with that solution except that the connection will drop again, often just a minute later. It will drop a dozen times or more in a day, more frequently in the evening.

Is this a known issue with Yosemite? Is there a fix? Is the connection any more stable under El Capitan? It's an annoyance I'd like to get rid of. Do any of you know how to fix this?
Out of curiosity, when it started to fail, did you happen to add another Mac or apple device to your network?

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
DNS for sure, not sure changing DNS servers will help (for very long.)

discoveryd was so buggy it was dropped in El Capitain, and mdsnresponder returned. I haven't had issues since, but Yosemite was a nightmare.
Indeed. And I (a.o.) was reprimanded by Apple for suggesting exactly that on Apple Support> Discussions.

·
Registered
363 Posts
After sleeping, my MB Air was not picking up the wifi. There are a host of suggestions on the Apple discussions pages, but none worked for me. I powered off the Airport Extreme for a few minutes, restarted and have been issue free since then.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It did turn out to be a problem my IPS could solve. They found that there were several networks in my neighbourhood that were interfering with my WiFi. They blocked them, and my WiFi connection has been as steady as a rock ever since.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
It did turn out to be a problem my IPS could solve. They found that there were several networks in my neighbourhood that were interfering with my WiFi. They blocked them, and my WiFi connection has been as steady as a rock ever since.
"Blocked them" is that even possible??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.