ehMac banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 32G, Wi-Fi iPad for my wife for her birthday. If we have a computer in the house with an internet connection, will she be able to surf the internet? Do I need to get another piece of equipment? She wanted an iPad, and I know nothing about them and very little about computers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You need a router. A router is a small device that sits between your modem and the desktop computer that creates the wifi network that you need in order to connect the iPad to the Internet.

There are many different ones but if you stick with a brand like D-Link and shop for one that provides the "N" variety of connection you should be fine. These consumer routers all come with very easy to follow instructions.

Any Best Buy, Future Shop, etc. will have a good selection.

Alternatively, your Internet service provider probably also sells them and will install it for you but they're usually pricier of course.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks iJayTee. I will look into that tomorrow. We are hopeless, I see many hours with Applecare until we get this figured out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If Roofjac's computer at home is a Mac, wouldn't it be possible to use Internet Sharing in the System sharing preferences to save a little $$. Assuming (dangerous I know) they are connect to the net via ethernet cable, that should free up Airport wireless signal on the Mac to share. Since I cannot get within ethernet range to test, I cannot comfirm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you have a Wi-Fi enabled computer connected to a wired network then you can use it to share internet over Wi-Fi. This will mean that the Wi-Fi is only available when the computer is running. Also if you have an ethernet based router with a free port, the Airport Express is a cheap way to extend that to wireless.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all. We have a iMac 2.66GHz Intel Core 2Duo 4GB 1067MHz DDR3 using Mac OS X 10.6.3 Chas, the router/backup you describe, is that to back up the entire computer? The same thing as Time Machine? Saving money is always important, but something that works without me having to be a tech guru is even better.You would think what they charged for the iPad, it would have most of this stuff built in or something. Wife still has to decide on a data plan.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey all. We have a iMac 2.66GHz Intel Core 2Duo 4GB 1067MHz DDR3 using Mac OS X 10.6.3 Chas, the router/backup you describe, is that to back up the entire computer? The same thing as Time Machine? Saving money is always important, but something that works without me having to be a tech guru is even better.You would think what they charged for the iPad, it would have most of this stuff built in or something. Wife still has to decide on a data plan.
Since you have a nice iMac, I would highly recommend either a Time Capsule or an Airport Extreme from Apple. Both of these are routers that will create a wireless network to share around the home to the new iPad. The Time Capsule has a hard drive in it and you can use Time Machine to automatically back up to this drive. If you already use Time Machine to backup to an external hard drive connected to your iMac (which you definitely should), and you don't have any Mac laptops then you could just get the Airport Extreme which is less expensive than the Time Capsule. If you have, or plan to get a MacBook in the future then the Time Capusle is great because the MacBook backs up using Time Machine through WiFi and automatically every 1hr if its not sleeping or turned off.

Remember, Time Machine is a program on your iMac and Time Capsule is the physical router/hardrive from Apple.

Here is more info:
Apple (Canada) - Time Capsule - Automatic backup for Mac and an 802.11n Wi-Fi base station
Apple (Canada) - AirPort Extreme - Simultaneous dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi base station

Finally, for the iPad you will be much better off with one of the Apple products, people are having many problems with WiFi signals from other routers. Most of these issues can be fixed but the fixes sometimes are fairly technical and frustrating. Stick with Apple and your iPad will run fine. And finally when you set up your home WiFi network, make sure to setup a password on it so neighbors, or sniffing google cam cars can't get into your system. The setup will guide you through this.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Actually, if you already have a backup solution, an airport Express would also work, and you could get rid of the network cable going to your iMac and run it wirelessly also. The Express and Extreme have comparable wireless performance, but the extreme provides you with ethernet ports for wired computers, which you may not need.

Luc

·
Registered
818 Posts
Any of the Apple wifi router products will be very very easy to set up, like ridiculously easy actually. If you just want a router that will create a wifi signal from your internet router to send a wifi signal that your iPad can use, the cheapest is the Airport Express. The Airport Extreme is more money, but with that you would be able to connect your printer, ext HD and a couple of computers to it. This would allow you to print wirelessly if the printer is connected to it, or back up with Time Machine if you have a USB 2.0 ext HD connected to it. Finally, Time Capsule is essentially Airport Extreme with a HD built in.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Obviously an Airport Extreme or Express would be ideal, but I think you should try to create a wifi network from your iMac first. It'd be free, and if it works, why not?

On your iMac, click on the Wireless (Airport) Icon in your menu bar. It looks like a rounded triangle.

Click "Create Network."

Give it a name.

Check the box next to "Require Password" and enter a good password.

Then on your iPad, turn on Wifi and you should be able to find the network's name that you gave it, and surf away.

If this doesn't work well, then put some cash into an Airport Extreme, Airport Express, or a Time Capsule. :)

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got an airport extreme. Can't get it to recognize an internet connection. I am on hold with Shaw right now. Easy for you people, not me. The amber light just flashes. I was in the process of setting up a new network, and hit a snag with it not being connected to the internet. I have tried WAN port and ethernet port.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Roofjac, do you have a Mac?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sitting in kitchen now typing this on iPad. Amber light still flashing on airport extreme. I have no idea why it works but guess it does. thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The book says to open AirPort Utility, and select base station then choose Manual Setup for the Base Station Stats to display info about the flashing light. What is AirPort Utility, and where do you find that? You can also select Monitor base station for problems in Airport preferences. What ever that is. Airport Utility is supposed to walk you through the problems. I have no idea what that is or where. Have to go out now, guess I will play with it some more later. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Wife still has to decide on a data plan.
You stated you had the wifi iPad. Unless you got the 3G version you don't need a data plan.

The airport utility is on the Mac. Use spotlight and start typing in "airport" until it shows up on the list then select it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts