Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
It's all about the money.

Apple has embraced the built in obsolescence mentality.

That won't work for long unless their products are cheap and disposable. Somehow I don't see that happening (the cheap part).

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Seems to me that people are jumping the gun on this one - Apple has hardly had time to respond with a Jaguar patch. Give them a few weeks, for Pete's sake.

In any case, the problem isn't as serious as all that - more theoretical vulnerabilities than real-life ones.

Cheers :-> Bill

[ October 30, 2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Gerbill ]

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Oh come on. First of all, most if not all of those flaws are caused by installing other software in MacOS Panther. Maybe those software companies should fix their software. Second, those security flaws were just found days ago, Apple hasn't had a chance to address them yet. Also, they are rather rare vulnerabilities. I think the media is getting overzealous.

Also, where should Apple stop, they fixed Panther, do they fix OS X 10.2? OS X 10.1? OS X 10.0?

I suggest you read http://www.ehmac.ca/cgi_bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004769#000000

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Oh come on. First of all, most if not all of those flaws are caused by installing other software in MacOS Panther. Maybe those software companies should fix their software. Second, those security flaws were just found days ago, Apple hasn't had a chance to address them yet.

Also, where should Apple stop, they fixed Panther, do they fix OS X 10.2? OS X 10.1? OS X 10.0?

I suggest you read http://www.ehmac.ca/cgi_bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004769#000000

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
About 6 months ago Apple found a small security hole in OS X. When they patched it, they patched it in 10.2.x and 10.1.x. What does this prove? If nothing else that if the hole is big enough, they will patch it in whichever OS the hole is in.

That said, consider two things: First, the holes were just found. Second, Apple is going to be supporting Jaguar for a while to come yet (making iChatAV available to Jaguar users is proof enough of that, even if you do have to pay extra for it).

--PB

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ah, you beat me to it, Kosh!

Of course, as you suggest, all those media outlets got their page hits up by posting the scandalous, unconfirmed rumours. Very little effort will go into retracting those claims and complementing Apple on supporting past OSs.

The damage is done, it's how the FUD machine works - the lay people out there, whether having read those articles or not, will remember the headline "Apple charges $129 for security fix" the next time they are toying with the idea of looking at alternative computing platforms and pass over Apple. :rolleyes:

Internet journalism is becoming more and more disappointing. Passing rumours off as facts, poor research and using misleading, sensationalist misinformation to increase ad revenue - I don't believe anything I read anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
They also quote the @Stake guy David Goldsmith: ""In my initial conversations with them, they said they weren't going to fix 10.2, but I wouldn't be surprised if they change that," he said. "
And why should we believe what he says?

Cheers :-> Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts