Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

This is a question that has been bothering me for a long time. I never got why Apple discontinued them. The G4 Cube (in my opinion) was one of the COOLEST :cool: and NEATEST
computers that I have ever seen designed by any computer company. If anyone knows why, or has a URL to a document, I would be most appreciated :D .

Thanks All
Eric

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Because the Cube didn't sell well at all and didn't make Apple any money.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The G4 towers were cheaper and no one was really willing to spend more for the limited G4 Cube..

But, it could be any combination of reasons..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
It was a bit of a debacle for Apple. The over estimated demand for it, made a crap tonne of them and while many people were initially attracted by the design, most were put off by the high price.

There is more to it than that, but that is the basics of it. Towards the end Apple had a large glut of stock (much like they had with the performas a few years earlier) but because Apple had been doing quite well it didn't nearly break them like the performas nearly did.

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
The rumour sites are hinting that the next iMac will be rather cubical when it appears early next year.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Steve Jobs has always had a problem with design vs expandability... The cube had nowhere to go...

Most users do not expand their computers beyond a little more ram and a new HD... but tell a customer that a new computer can not be expanded much beyond that and the public will stay away...

Most PCs can take 4-8 PCI Cards and multiple drives...
Most users don't ever open their box...

Present company excluded of course

Plus the Cube had an acrylic base that developed ugly cracks...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yah, they had a lot of bad press with those cracks.

I don't think people mind a machine with limited upgradability (just ask any one of the millions of iMac owners), but they don't want to pay a premium for it.

I believe if Apple had charged $1999 for the cube when a G4 tower was about $2400 they would have sold more. Unfortunately they sold the Cube for about $2800.

I still want one. Bad.

·
Registered
728 Posts
the 'official' answer given is $= bottom line didn't get justified.
for me it is a smile on my face to be a proud owner of one of these amazing digital boxes, i use it as email/websurf/jukebox/ instant photo lab and DVD player for my bedroom with my lcd cinema. my only complaint are the 2 glowing leds when 'we' sleep, lits my room so bright i need to have it covered!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I love *MY* Cube (that I rescued from a fate worse than death). It's just sitting on the corner of my desk quietly working away.

But it was badly placed. For a couple of bucks more, you could get a tower. For a few bucks less, you could get a iMac... why go for the Cube? I think Apple learned a valuable lesson from the Cube. Everything from that time on has had a clear market distinction.

But I'm glad I got mine...

John

·
Registered
503 Posts
I remember very well when those things were introduced. Back then G4 power was only available in a tower. Many figured the time was ripe for a G4 at the consumer level and the Cube was the ticket; smaller, less expension capability -- just like the iMac. Except it was introduced at pro prices. It was just too damn pricey.

Plus there's something else. It was missing what I call "The Compensation Factor." Many people (especially men) like their toys to be big. There's nothing like a tall erect tower. A puny little stubby didn't do it for them ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Cube rocks BUT they wont be the next iMac.

What ever its shape, the next iMac will include a screen and most important: a intergrated WEBCAM! I am so sure about it. The reason is simple: it fits with the current Apple strategy! Apple always like to be first. They were the first to include CD and DVD burner across the board, etc. The last frontiere right now is video conferencing. No computer can offert that right out of the box. No pc maker can do it because of the lack of integration between hard and software. Only Apple is in position to take the lead there and I think they will. The iSight was just a test drive for iChat AV and the next step is the iMac AV!

It all seems very logical to me but I cant imagine how they can fix a cam on a computer in an elegant way...

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I remember the first time I saw the cube I wanted one. Then I saw the price tag....I didn't want it that badly. :eek:

I think the cube would have been a smash success had apple sold it at the same price point as the then selling imac. It basically had the same limitations as the imac with a faster processor and the ability to hook up the monitor of your choice. I think there is still a market for a headless, less expensive consumer mac. I would love to be able to buy an imac without the LCD attached and hook up a cinema display. I guess Apple must fear that a computer with these capabilities would eat into the pro market.

Bring back the cube! Just don't make it so expensive.

Cheers
MacGuiver

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
What ever its shape, the next iMac will include a screen and most important: a intergrated WEBCAM! I am so sure about it. The reason is simple: it fits with the current Apple strategy! Apple always like to be first. They were the first to include CD and DVD burner across the board, etc. The last frontiere right now is video conferencing. No computer can offert that right out of the box. No pc maker can do it because of the lack of integration between hard and software. Only Apple is in position to take the lead there and I think they will. The iSight was just a test drive for iChat AV and the next step is the iMac AV!

It all seems very logical to me but I cant imagine how they can fix a cam on a computer in an elegant way...
Somehow I highly doubt that will come anytime soon, but I could be wrong. Just doesn't sound logical me at all.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
And Sony Vaio laptops have had integrated webcams for years, so Apple wouldn't really be doing anything new. It would be nice, though.

Also I don't believe Apple has ever officially announced the cube discontinued, I think they used the term "on ice". I remember Steve Jobs making this distinction.

6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Here's the "on ice" press release...

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/jul/03cube.html

The company said there is a small chance it will reintroduce an upgraded model of the unique computer in the future, but that there are no plans to do so at this time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
the reason's simple. why would someone buy a cube instead of a tower (which is faster) for more money? then bad rumours spread "the cube isnt expandable!" and "the cube can have huge cracks in it!" were the big ones. naturally, people were ignorant and avoided the cube, 100000 brave souls with a love for design great enough to justify paying the premium bought the cube, and although apple was making decent money off of it, they decided to EOL it because of the rumours. cubes have gotten popular all of a sudden because their amazing design is STILL top of the heap and because the dumb people finally realised its potential. the cube can now be upgraded to 1.4ghz g4 and can have a new metal enclosure made by powerlogix and can have great video cards such as the geforce3, radeon 8500 or 9000 or the larger ones if you have the PL case (geforce4ti etc), not to mention ram up to 1.5 gigs and hd's up to 128gigs. soon you'll also be able to get fanless cpu upgrades as well up to 1ghz (presumably) which allows you to have a completely silent computer, which is just a BEAUTIFUL thing! MDD owners have no idea

1 - 17 of 17 Posts