1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
The more the Conservatives' ads try to make Stephane Dion look ineffective (it must be true if it's on TV!) the more desperate and conniving they make themselves look.

It's reminiscent of the 1993 attack on Jean Chretien by the Conservatives that propelled him into 3 majority governments.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The more the Conservatives' ads try to make Stephane Dion look ineffective (it must be true if it's on TV!) the more desperate and conniving they make themselves look.
Those ads don't bother me (they are paid by the Party after all).

This is (newish) government of Canada advertising.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as these have been tendered in Canada and are actual services not a Quebec AdScam re-hash, I don't see the problem.
Funny that you should mention that....

According to the Citizen, 26 per cent of contracts issued by Public Works under the Tories were classified as non-competitive compared to 14 per cent under the final months of the Martin government.
Nothing suspicious here....

and I'm quite sure that the sums involved are much bigger...

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Again, if the company was Canadian, then I don't see a problem.

Couldn't be any worse than what the Ontario Liberals spent on redesigning the Ontario logo and dropping the "C" from the OLG logo.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Voters have no memory. When the Cons were ranting on in the last election about Lib indiscretions, they failed to note the criminal record of the preceding PC (and don't try to tell me there is any difference (PC v. Con)) government. The electorate didn't notice either...!!

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Somewhere out there is the theory of a fiscally conservative party with progressive, as the term is commonly used, social objectives. I'm not big on the little bits that don't fit the pure theory like some expensive advertising here or a silly credit there but, with this bunch, it looks like just one more example of big spenders.

Sure, anti-partisans will scream in any case and, as is often the case, about nothing in particular. There will always be something that is Important To Share, but I've seen enough to tolerate a great deal of political silliness. So, by all means, blow an extra 30 mill on advertising, but get the $10 billion right.

These twits did not.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
o, by all means, blow an extra 30 mill on advertising, but get the $10 billion right.
Therein lies two problems with existing govs

a) $30 mill is chump change to them

b) questionable on the $10 billion value for money.

Politicians seem to be only slightly less a self fulfilling prophecy as a group than lawyers.

City states arise...your time is nigh :D

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
City states arise...your time is nigh :D
Huge metro areas are a pox on the country. They suck the very life out of what used to be a great nation. They suck up far too much energy, are self polluting and the population explosion in them defies reason.

We live in a glorious land with few people per square mile, yet urbanites persist in creating concrete jungles of gigantic proportion with all of the social ills that come with the territory of stuffing far too many people into a confined area.

Thankfully we still have many places in small town Canada that exist where friends are neighbours and neighbours are friends. Where life is still simple and peaceful and society cooperates to make a community whole. Where one can still listen to the birds sing in the surrounding countryside, devoid of any other sound.

Hell, there isn't even a traffic light in most of small town Canada.

Trouble is, most city dwellers will never know the joy and bliss of such a life.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
........sure toto

your mythical Kansas...is long gone.

ask how many hard scrabble farmers loved their life.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
........sure toto

your mythical Kansas...is long gone.

ask how many hard scrabble farmers loved their life.
You see MD, that is where you fail. You have no idea of which I speak and by your very own words demonstrate your ignorance of small town Canada.

Hell, you can't even draw a constructive put down without borrowing from an American motion picture.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
And for the record, both sides of my family were farmers. Matter of fact, my wife's nephew just gave up work on the rigs at age 35 to take over the family farm from her only brother. That makes the fifth straight generation to love and nurture that half section, a small farm by today's standards, just so people like you can have bread on your table.

People in urban centres tend to forget those who toil long and hard to fill their supermarkets. Did you think that stuff grew somewhere in downtown TO?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
"People in urban centres tend to forget those who toil long and hard to fill their supermarkets." Sad, but all too true. Growing up in New York City, I did not have a clue about the life of those who farmed. It was not until I went to teach in Waycross, Georgia, and most of my students were the sons and daughters of tenant farmers that I gained any real understanding of the hard life of anyone who farms the land.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
People in urban centres tend to forget those who toil long and hard to fill their supermarkets. Did you think that stuff grew somewhere in downtown TO?
Industrial farmers? Or the migrant workers?
Because SINC, the small family farm is mostly something of the past...

And before you accuse me of being a city dweller, I'm surrounded by organic farm land...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
My post was intended to show that there are still thousands of small family farms and ranches operating in western Canada. Yes there are not as many as there used to be. The trend is certainly to larger farms and larger equipment, but by and large "industrial farms" and "migrant workers" are uncommon on the prairies. Those types of operations are more likely to be found in labour intensive farming like fruit growers in the Okanagan. One man with one large piece of equipment can cover a huge slice of prairie wheat fields in a single day, be it seeding or harvesting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts