Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had this VNC thread today and came to the conclusion that one cannot have simultaneous multiple desktops running on a Mac from several PCs, unlike with unix and X11.
Said another way, although multiple users can be logged in, via VNC, only one GUI desktop is available! USELESS!!

So now the question has come down to this...

In the Windows world we have Terminal Services that can provide each connected user with their own desktop. One server, many clients. Practical.

So why don't we have this option in Mac OS X Server?
If it was, my company would buy a Dual G5, get a server license, and let a bunch of people run their own OS X desktop on that G5 but from their PC or Linux box.
It would be brilliant. But no. Not an option.

Is there a reason why Microsoft can do it and Apple can't?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Is there a reason why Microsoft can do it and Apple can't?

I don't think Apple "can't" do it, I think they "haven't yet" done it.

Unless there is some workaround I am unaware of.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Sounds like something that should be included in the OS X SERVER software at least, if not in the standard OS X software. I liked that feature in Yellowdog Linux when I ran it on my G4.

Send Apple feedback!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks kps,
I did find a Mac OS X SERVER specific page and outlined the situation and request. I expect a fix by this afternoon :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
iRAPP merges Windows & OSX and delivers a Terminal Server for OSX

macnn.com

iRAPP

Code Rebel has debuted with iRAPP 1.0, a program that lets Windows users run applications residing on their Mac systems. It also allows multiple Windows users to connect to multiple OSX accounts on the same Mac machine, making it the first terminal services solution for OSX.

Code Rebel is currently working on the Mac to Mac and Mac to PC options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.