Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for my ignorance, but if I am the only user in OSX, is there any reason for me to log out? I usually just let my Powerbook sleep in between work, or shut down and restart. I hear there is a bug for laptops in 10.2.3 when logging out- kernal panic. Apparently, VersionTracker has a piece of freeware to cure it.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Logging out insures security when you are not around/near/using your Powerbook. If someone came by and picked up your Powerbook when you looked the other way, the theif wouldn't be able to log into your account and access your personal information. (assuming CD booting is disabled.) If, however, you don't go to public places with it, then no, logging out isn't required or nessacary. However, logging out can fix/optimize your account while you're logged out - it's like restarting completely under Mac OS 9, but not quite the same.

About the 10.2.3 Kernal Panic bug, wait for 10.2.4 - it's coming this month. The patch should address and fix that issue.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The best thing about logging out is typing:

>console

into the login window and running Mac OS X without the aqua interface

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
I tend to leave my iBook "logged in" to my main account 24/7. What I have done for security's sake is to enable the password protection on the screensaver, so if my laptop is unattended (as if !), it always has a little roadblock to keep people out.

M.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It's a security feature, so your own security needs/habits determine whether you need to.

One thing about logout is that it does kill some processes, which can be a useful troubleshooting step.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I like to work in a non-admin account normally. Prevents me from accidentally dragging system files to the trash for example. Plus if you mess up that account you can fix it just by logging in to the other account and deleting a preference file in the regular account's home directory, quite often.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by csonni:
I hear there is a bug for laptops in 10.2.3 when logging out- kernal panic. Apparently, VersionTracker has a piece of freeware to cure it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an iBook running 10.2.3 - I have never gotten a kernel panic from logging out. Must be a configuration-specific bug.

Anyway, the only reason not to remain logged in is a security issue. Not a real big one, because if someone nabs your iBook, they can get in with a boot CD.

For the record, I never log out either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts