Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I show my hidden files and go here
usr-share-emacs-21.1-etc-CENSORSHIP
and find a text file about a guy blabing on and on about something.
When I buy and install an OS I want the OS,not this guy's creative writing skills.
Why do they put this in here?All it does is make me trust Apple less and less.If they put files like this on my computer without asking me then what else are they doing without asking me? :mad:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
sputnik wrote:

I wouldn't get too worried about it. Just about any computer with emacs installed will have similar files stashed in /usr/share/emacs/ since they're part of the GNU Emacs distribution. The majority of the files are by Richard Stallman, founder of the GNU Project and the original author of GNU Emacs. He's a bit batty but mostly harmless.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isnt there any software out there to trim stuff like this out?I never have a problem with free software but it generally makes me nervous when things are "hidden".
It would be great to have a prog. that would just simply break down ALL the stuff and de-install it.
How did this guy get put into X anyway?Apple just up and said "sure!stick it in there!" :D

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
sputnik wrote:
Isnt there any software out there to trim stuff like this out?

There might be, but I doubt there's much of a need for it. On my syste, /usr/share/emacs/21.1/etc/ takes up less than 6MB of disk space, and some of that stuff is useful for people that use emacs (i.e., it's not all cruft).

So, if you went through and purged it all, you might save a couple of megabytes of disk space. Probably not worth it when megabytes of disk space are measured in fractions of a cent.

How did this guy get put into X anyway?Apple just up and said "sure!stick it in there!"

It's not Unix if Emacs isn't installed, dontchaknow?

:D

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sputnik:
When I buy and install an OS I want the OS,not this guy's creative writing skills.
Why do they put this in here?All it does is make me trust Apple less and less.If they put files like this on my computer without asking me then what else are they doing without asking me? :mad:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't found this file on any of the machines at work. (and I did the OS installs on all of them) so I suspect Apple didn't put it there.

I suspect it has something to do with emacs, not Apple.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Strongblade wrote:
I haven't found this file on any of the machines at work. (and I did the OS installs on all of them) so I suspect Apple didn't put it there.

Did you install the bsd utilities?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
sputnik wrote:
What exactly are the BSD's good for?I'm not so much of a programmer.Do I need them?

The BSD utilities are only important if you're planning on using Mac OS X from the terminal.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I don't have that file, but if it was hidden, it means the Finder won't see them and they aren't readily apparent in the Terminal (however ls -a will show them). Give me vi... it makes sense...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts