Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading about all the neat extras that Cocoa based apps have in 10.2, so why is the Finder Carbon? Does it have to do with running Classic?

Are apps like Photoshop and Dreamweaver carbon bases apps as well? I noticed in Photoshop that "sheets" doesn't seem to be supported.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Does it really matter if the application has a 'carb' resource in it? But a possible reason is that maybe there's some legacy code in the Finder that was quicker to carbonize than re-write from scratch. Doubt that it has any thing to do with support for classic.

Photoshop and Dreamweaver are carbonized. But in the case of Photoshop, you don't automatically get sheets if you carbonize an application. You have to write specific code. From an application I wrote:

Code:
It really comes down to three things. How comfortable do you feel with the tools, do the tools provide all the functionality you need, and are all the features you need available in the tools.

Hope that helps...

John

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I do know that Adobe Apps that are Carbonized are because, although they are supporting OS X "out of the box" They haven't signed off on OS 9 users yet. As well, there are some straggler plugins and other 'extras" that make a Carbonized version at this stage a logical choice.

Here's a neat trick (And it doesn't even require being a master Programmer like JG4!)

If you have a "legacy" device, like a scanner, and no drivers for it in OS X (Or say, you are too lazy or lack an internet connection to D/L OS X drivers)

You can install the legacy drivers in Photoshop while booted into OS 9. Then, boot back into OS 10 and go to the Photoshop folder.

Locate the Application file and right-click (or control-click for 1/0 button mice users) and choose "Show Package Contents"

Open the folder called "Contents"

Open the folder called "MacOSClassic"

Voila! The Adobe Photoshop "Classic" application.

Launch it (OS 9 will start up if not already running) and you will notice the menubar convert to the Platinum one of OS 9.

You will then be able to use legacy drivers, while in OS X, in Classic mode.

This is how I got my Mom's scanner to work on OS X when I lacked an internet connection. She didn't have OS X drivers cuz she's still on 8.6!

But I could use the scanner to secretly scan family photos for my secret iPhoto Xmas 2003 project WITHOUT HER ANY THE WISER!

w00t!

I am the frickin' coolest!

Heh

Thus endeth the lesson

:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts