Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a simple answer to this--which will make me feel like a simple-ton! MacOS 10.13.6. MBP 15" 2015.

Sometimes I drag a window to the right side (have not observed this on left) & my entire Desktop is gone along with all its open application windows. This must be a feature not a bug!

To get my Desktop back, I need to quit the open application window & then click on another application in the Dock.

How do I turn this 'feature' OFF? It only happens to me unintentionally but my wife's 10.14 MBA does the same. We'd both like to disable this. TIA!

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
I no longer have my MBPro so I cannot test, nor can I remember the name of the "feature" Apple uses to implement it.

It may be their Mission thing, but have a look here:
Move an off-screen window back on screen in macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

EDIT NOTE: forget that YouTube site it is completely useless. Sorry, but I didn't do the site!!! Some stupid idiot did!!!

And you will find more with a Google search such as:

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I no longer have my MBPro so I cannot test, nor can I remember the name of the "feature" Apple uses to implement it.

It may be their Mission thing, but have a look here:
Move an off-screen window back on screen in macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
- Patrick
=======
All I've found so far have to do with losing a window onto a second monitor screen. I suspect Apple made this a 'feature' because so many are using 13" screens & things get confusing with lots of application windows open.

Can anyone else give this a try please?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I've found so far have to do with losing a window onto a second monitor screen. I suspect Apple made this a 'feature' because so many are using 13" screens & things get confusing with lots of application windows open.

Can anyone else give this a try please?
Mission Control must be the problem, methinks. But which of these should I check/uncheck?

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
when you say your desktop is gone, you mean all windows and folders that were open? Do you see desktop folders? I have a mission control setting for my bottom right corner which slides everything open away so I can get to anything I need on the desktop. To get back to normal I just slide the mouse back go the same corner.

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
Mission Control must be the problem, methinks. But which of these should I check/uncheck?

I'm sorry but I cannot help and I don't think I have ever used Mission Control, or spaces or multiple desktop or whatever other names they want to give the feature, but maybe this video might give you a good handle on the feature, regardless of what is called:

It should probably give you an idea of how moving your windows around or dragging them to the right etc. may be affecting what you do.

It looks like it could also be changed with a different trackpad gesture or maybe disabled completely.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps this could even be useful but it requires a complete change in thinking about how I use my Mac! Let's see... Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is "Full Screen Mode" what you are thinking about?

The old dinosaur never thought to click the green button! Cool! As long as the mind is organised, the Desktop need not be.

No, it's Mission Control, alright. When I move a window too far to the right, everything else disappears. That might help focus for some. But for me, it's mostly annoying!

·
Premium Member
42,445 Posts
Did you click on "Hot corners" to disable any mouse gestures that might enable this result?

·
Premium Member
42,445 Posts
Right, but what happens when you click "Hot corners"?

Do you see anything that indicates a corner has been activated there

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's creating a new, clean desktop for you. Drag the window back to the left and it will put it back on your original desktop.
Not sure who uses this feature but it is just annoying to me. I have two desktops with different apps open on each, and I never want to drag a window from one to the other.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's creating a new, clean desktop for you. Drag the window back to the left and it will put it back on your original desktop.
Not sure who uses this feature but it is just annoying to me. I have two desktops with different apps open on each, and I never want to drag a window from one to the other.
Hmmm. Okaaay. I'll try that out next time it happens. I think I did try this & it didn't work. Think I might like all my mess in one place! Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts