Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy friggin' cow. :rolleyes:

So please don't shoot me.I picked up a cheap Celeron 2.6 for gaming reasons and wow does my head hurt.

It is nothing short of a miracle that any company anywhere can do anything running Windows.I have been setting up this box since Friday.When I look at it I get this feeling like I'm looking at a diseased pigeon.

Here are a few beefs-

1-My G3 400 is STILL faster.Or at least at the GUI level of things.
2-Don't EVER EVEN think about P2P,I've never tried Kazaa and wanted to see the big deal.10 minutes later I had 3 virus'.
3-Whats the point of Antivirus software if it can FIND the virus,but can't kill it.Brilliant.
4-WHATEVER you do,don't take a wrong turn on the Internet.If you do you will be introduced to a new first person shooter called Pop up Window Killer.Tons o fun.
:rolleyes:
5-Oh yeah....Spyware.32 of those according to Adaware after 1 hour of net.
6-Rollback?What do you mean I can't rollback because I installed iTunes?Isn't this the point of rolling back?

In short,Windows is a PS2 on roids.Everything else even related to using a Win box,well.....sucks.

Damn Apple is soooooo good. :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
That's the price you pay for going to the dark side.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I just emailed your opening post on this thread to my best buddy...who is currently struggling along with a balky Dell virus magnet .

It was his very first computer and he bought it despite all of my recommendations about Macs. His two kids use it for Kazaa downloads all of the time and the poor thing is so screwed up.

It's sooo slowwww... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I could run Ad-Aware twenty times a day and always come up with something on my machine. I curse my pee-cee each time I have to use it.
:mad:

I can't wait until I can get my new iBook...I miss the Mac world.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Friends don't let friends drive PeeCees.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm just curious, what were the other components in this 'gaming' machine you bought? Because as anyone that has played even basic games knows you don't use a celeron processor in a gaming machine if you want performance. I'd be curious to know what else is in it. Biggest mistake most people make is going cheap on the video card. CPU speed is not the determining factor when it comes to playing games on PCs.

I remember when I first started playing games seriously, like for money, yes money [last year going to tournies made just over $9000.00]. I thought I had a good gaming system, well was I wrong. It became quite apparent that I had never seen a real gaming machine. Buying components does not make a gaming machine. I met someone that had pretty much the same system conifg as mine, we were playing Q3 and Urban Terror. I was averaging around 65 70 FPS, which I thought was okay. His machine was averaging 120 FPS all the time at 1280 x 1024 cranked! I learned a thing or two about OS and resource optimizing that day.

It's funny when you see the look on peoples faces when they see a game like RTCW or UT2K being run the way it was designed to be played, they stare with open mouths and all say the same thing, "why doesn't it look like that on my machine?" :rolleyes:

I'm not a PC advocate and most definetly despise MS :mad: , but as far as gaming goes there is no other choice if you want to play properly. Gaming on a Mac is an after thought, I wish it wasn't because it would be great to go to tournies and not have to worry about viruses and crap, that would be nice.

I hate saying things like this but when I run my gaming machine it just blows me away how fast it is. I've benched it against the dual G4 that my partner uses and it isn't even a contest, even with the benches I've seen for the G5's it would still be a wash. Diseased pigeon it is not.

Computers are tools, use the right one for the right job.... That's why I use a Mac for work. :D

And Kazaa?? Well if you stick your hand in the fire...

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Hey Viivis

My kids still use a P3/850 for gaming (mainly EA Sports, Tony Hawks, WRC Rally, etc.). They seem to run OK, but they are after the new versions of some games (e.g. FIFA 2004 released today). Here is my question: PC or console? The price difference wouldn't be huge as I would just replace the box on the computer (wishful thinking?)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Console gaming is cool, I have a cube because I'm a Resident Evil junkie :eek:

Consoles lack in one all important area...video! They can only put in what is developed at the time the manufacture. And a 64MB chipset isn't very good these days. And new machines aren't due for a while.

If you want quality and speed go computer.

Replace the box? You mean the tower?

If you are going to do that make sure that the machine you buy has 8x AGP, 800FSB with matching CPU and supports DDR 400 Memory. NO CELERONS! And for video if you want to play new games coming out after 2004 then either the FX nVidia cards or 9000 series ATI. For the money the 9600 Pro card is very good. If money is not an issue then grab the FX 5900 Ultra or the 9800 Pro. I prefer nVidia because ATI always has driver issues.

Hope this helps. If you want some optimizing tips let me know and I'll email you some simple yet effective one. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Thanks!

We're probably looking at Xmas...

·
Registered
95 Posts
"Console gaming is cool, I have a cube because I'm a Resident Evil junkie"

Yum. Me too, that's why I bought my cube. :D

Did you hear the latest Resident Evil rumor? Supposely, Capcom is antsy about its RE contract with Cube (they've been losing alot of money as of late) and they may just release RE4 in Japan (it fullfills their contract with Nintendo) and start porting their RE games in the USA to Sony.

-sb

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
If you do you will be introduced to a new first person shooter called Pop up Window Killer.

Thank you, sputnik - that was a beautiful analogy

·
Registered
264 Posts
I switched to the Mac about three or so years ago. At the time I was doing a lot of Photoshop and page layout and was trying to do it on a PC. I eventually got tired of the BSoD, driver conflicts, and just overall poor performance; so much so that I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Mac. So I went out and bought a 7600/132. I added a bunch of RAM, a G3 upgrade card, an 18.2 GB drive and a VooDoo 3 video card. I was hooked. The Mac just seemed to work. Then I bought a brand new Sawtooth from Computer City (remember them?). In the years I've had those machines I've never had to re-install the OS once. Not once. On my Windows machines it was once every 8 to 12 months.

The wierdest pasrt about switching was try to get out of the Windows way of doing things. I remember the first time I tried to upload files via ftp on the Mac. I opened up the file selector dialog and was trying to get it to sort my files by date, but it wouldn't let me, much to my utter dismay. Then it dawned on me, connect to the server, go to the file list in the Finder, select the files, drag 'em to the ftp app, drop 'em , and there they go! Wow, much easier. For the most part the Mac just seems to work. You power it up, do what you need to do, then shut it down. I use Windows at work and I'll tell you, it makes me appreciate the Mac more and more. I can't wait to get home from work to use my Mac. The difference is like night and day. Can't say as I'll be switching back to a PC anytime soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts