Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a short story on why I always buy my computer gear online:

I need a 4-port USB hub because my USB devices are outnumbering the number of USB ports my iMac has. Well, I looked online, and the average price for a 4-port USB hub was $15-$20 (CDN), so I figured I'd head into a local computer shop and pick one up. First stop: CompuSmart - wow, big mistake! Their 4-port USB hub was priced at $69.95 - whoa! I don't intend to spend $70 for a hub! Well, headed to Walmart instead - same hub, and a different brand hub - $39.95. What the...? I tried 3 different places; all places breaching $40.00 for a 4-port USB hub. I don't know what is wrong with either these stores or prices, but I can buy the exact same hubs as the ones in the local stores for up to $20.00 cheaper including shipping - and $40.00 less than the hub at CompuSmart.

Sad part is, even though I could spend 10 min and go get a part from a local computer shop and have it right away, I still have to wait a week for it because I still end up buying online, because stores sell parts and accessories at absolutely shocking prices. I honestly don't feel like paying $45.00 for a freakin' hub.

So... am I missing something, or do retail stores always price things so damn high?

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
i find that too.
i went into compusmart here looking at firewire cases and was shocked at the prices!
i emailed my buddy in toronto about firewire cases and he said he could get the same case as at compusmart for $60 less including shipping to me from a retail store.
i think its cause we live in the maritimes lars!

EDIT- i was in Radioshack the other day and they had a nice little USb2 hub cheap. cant remember the price. oh and they also ad a usb hub for $19.
not sure if its any good but go have a look. is there still one in the moncton mall? thats right beside your school, no?

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Sigh .......the USB hubs you see on line for $15 Cdn ( $10 US ) are not powered.

The hubs you are pricing here are powered and have a CSA sticker.

This is one of the lowest priced retailers in Canada
Here's the pricing - notice the clear difference with AC power.

USB HUB 4 PORT USB V1.1 RETAILPLUS+  
$15.99

USB HUB 4 PORT USB V2.0 480MBPS W/AC  
$39.99

USB HUB 4 PORT USB V2.0 480MBPS W/AC ADA  
$39.99

USB HUB 4 PORT USB-634 V2.0 480MBPS W/AC  
$39.99

USB HUB LINKSYS 4PT USB1.1 PC/MAC UH-204  
$19.99

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I buy online to avoid the hassle of going out.. I can do everything from my desk and it get it delivered to my door.. there is nothing better than that..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Hey Guys...it's the small town mentality...and yes stuff is overpriced big time!...and while supporting you local community with groceries and the like...it makes buying other stuff like computer stuff not worth it...your right...I can get it in ten minutes, or wait a week and save like 1/2 the price and buy something else to boot with the mula you saved...I know I have been there..and for the record...I like to buy used...cause screw the GOV'T anymore of my hard earned bucks! thats why I love this list!..and another killer is that in other provinces the PST is retarded too! cheers guys...always glad to try and help you guys find a deal...thanks for all your help and comments on these boards...helped alot of people...and probably made some mad too (Lars!!) hehe...well talk to you later, Mark

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Now if you want to complain about something that's valid how about a cross Canada checkup on USB and Firewire cable pricing. :eek:

I've seen a USB cable priced in the US at $39!!!!!! You can buy a printer for less than that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
232 Posts
You should see how expensive DVD-R media is in stores compared to online sellers, its usually around twice the price, except on the lowest quality media that lasts for 6 months.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Yeah, I used to think things were overpriced when I lived in Fredericton... then I moved to Ottawa. :confused:

Seriously, MacDoc hit the nail on the head. Caveat Emptor. The pluses of buying localling:

a) you can return any future defective equipment and/or (usually) get a replacement immediately;

b) get a quick refund if the item is not to your liking;

c) you don't paying shipping and handling, nor are you likely to get hit by extra special "cross the border" taxes (where applicable);

d) gain "face" -- this allows you to build a reputation as a loyal customer which can benefit to future deals and discounts.

You won't get this kind of service on-line. Ever. So quit being a cheapskate! :D I paid A little over $50 for my Logitech Wingman Huband don't regret it.

Besides, your credit card will have a better chance of surviving theft when you shop in "real-time". Plus it helps to get away from the computer once in a while.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I buy both online and local. The local stuff I keep my eyes open for deals and wait until the price is right. USB hub- $9 at Staples as a door crasher (D-Link and self powered), RAM from Futureshop (1 SO-DIMM 128MB- $29),UMAX Astra 1220U scanner from Futureshop $29 (when scanners including this one were still above $100), USB extension cable- WALMART $12 (HP brand).

These are not high cost items but still good bargains out there if you look. Radio Shack often has clearance prices on Mac stuff and pretty good stuff. Just keep your eyes open.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
The problem with buying DVD-R media is that most stores carry barely a handfull of brands like TDK, or Verbatim (super over-priced!) and rarely if ever (read never) sell DVD-R by the spindle.

However, I find Apple brand DVD-Rs to be very affordable and reasonably priced. Not to mention they're better in terms of quality than the bulk no-name brands that are out there.

The cheapest DVD-Rs you'll find can go as low as 25 cents per 1x DVD-R as long as you buy more than 500 discs. However, these have the problem of not being completely compatible on all, or even most, set-top DVD players. In some instances the dye they use is of lesser quality and tend to corrupt or work sporadically. To add to the problem, burning a 1x DVD-R can cause skipping or stuttering problems in certain players (due to the lower data-transfer rate).

I bought a 50 pack myself and regretted it... they're fine for just archiving data... I guess. I'm sticking to Apple brand from now on.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
There are times when you don't have a choise but to buy online. Ever seen a 15' VGA cable at your local Future Shop? Not a chance, but you might find one HERE!

I do buy quite a bit online (comp and non comp stuff) and for that reason I have a Mailboxes Etc box and a creditcard with a $500 limit. It's for security as well as convenience. Mailboxes Etc, signs for my packages and I pick them up at my convenience after they email me whn the pkg arrives. In this way, I protect my privacy and limit the junk mail to my home address. The low credit limit on the creditcard foils potential fraud.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I can walk into my store and buy a 4 port USB hub for 15$. I'd be buying a 15$ piece of crap, but it'd still only be 15$.

In other words you are more than likely going to get what you've paid for.

--PB

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
PB........you betcha. :D
and putting 6 or so devices on a passive hub = :( :( :(

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can walk into my store and buy a 4 port USB hub for 15$. I'd be buying a 15$ piece of crap, but it'd still only be 15$.
Yeah, but since when do USB hubs need to be a special type in order to work properly?

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Certain USB devices draw power from the Mac... if you have too many that draw power through a Hub without an AC power source, you'll have problems.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
"Yeah, but since when do USB hubs need to be a special type in order to work properly?"

I'd be cautious about playing Macguru if you have to ask that question.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd be cautious about playing Macguru if you have to ask that question.
I don't know about you, but if I plug a simple printer in a USB hub, does it really need to be a high-end brand-name Keyspan hub? That's what I thought.

The avoid "generic no name" brand crap I always see around here is completely lame. A no name brand USB hub should work fine, yesh. Just as bad as the "avoid generic RAM" I always see here.

Maybe I'd need a A/C power hub if I had a printer, scanner and 2 other devices, but for a single device, I don't think I need to spend $45 on a hub with all the bells, whistles and a brand name logo on top. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
If you avoid the "no-name generic brand name, bells and whistles" crap, then why use a Mac? :confused:

Besides, if you are just plugging the printer in, you don't need a Hub. Use the extra port on your iMac or keyboard.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey MannyP

There is a Canadian owned site called blankmedia.ca that sells a lot of different types of DVD-R media for really good prices.

I just ordered a spindle of 4x Ritek G04 Grade A discs from them, after shipping and taxes the discs still come out to less than $2.50 each, which is a sweet price.

I've done a lot of research on Ritek media and I've found a lot of good reviews. I usually use Mitsui's which are top of the line discs that are supposed to last over a hundred years, but they cost quite a lot so I decided to give the Riteks a shot.

I haven't received my order yet (it shipped yesterday) but I'll try to keep you posted on how the media holds up, if you want.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just as bad as the "avoid generic RAM" I always see here.
Actually I know that if you own a G5 be careful what RAM you buy, apparently there are a few of generic RAM modules that will not work with certain ROM versions of the G5.

So its wise to know what RAM you are buying and who manufactures it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts