Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a Canon HV20 HiDefinition Camcorder to use with the iMove HD. However, the wires that come with the camcorder is USB and it seems that iMovie does not support USB.. I now have to go and find a Firewire cable.. What a pain!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Probably for a couple of reasons.
1) The firewire standard allows the computer to send control signals to the camera to stop, play rewind etc. This makes importing footage much easier.
2) I have heard that Apple gets a royalty or licensing payment for each FW implementation - this could be verified with a google search (that I'm too lazy to do! but I believe that Apple was one of the groups that defined the FW standard)
3) firewire does allow more real world throughput than USB (even though by some lab measurements USB 2.0 can be faster - I've rarely seen it work that way in real world applications)

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Hi,

I just bought a Canon HV20 HiDefinition Camcorder to use with the iMove HD. However, the wires that come with the camcorder is USB and it seems that iMovie does not support USB.. I now have to go and find a Firewire cable.. What a pain!
You're in Toronto and it's inconvenient to find a FireWire cable? It seems like an easy fix, though.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Hi,

Sounds like you're blaming Apple/iMovie for a Canon issue.

iMovie doesn't support USB 2 because it's too slow for HD.

And any electronics store carries a 4 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I have heard that Apple gets a royalty or licensing payment for each FW implementation
That would be incorrect. Apple stopped doing that years ago.
this could be verified with a google search (that I'm too lazy to do!
That's a shame. By not doing it, you pass along incorrect/unverified information
I believe that Apple was one of the groups that defined the FW standard)
No - Apple invented Firewire.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not blaming anyone... When I saw the canon box it had the Apple symbol so I assumed that the wire was apple compatible....

A bit of an inconvenience because I had shot a footage that I wanted to send to a friend last night, but when it didnt work, I had to wait until this afternoon to buy firewire...

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Canon needs better labelling (and a bunch of FW stuff)

That would be incorrect. Apple stopped doing that years ago
Technically correct Shawn, according to the googling you've shamed me into now the licensing fee goes to a consortium of which Apple is a member. The fee is now .25 per system. More info here (if you like/trust Wikipedia) I realize that what "got this rise out of you" was the initial fee proposed by Apple/Steve Jobs (which was seen by some as exhorbitant) - I knew that Apple had relented on that (or was legally manuvered into reconsidering it - see the Wikipedia pages cited below) - one interesting follow on effect to this whole conflict was that USB 2.0 was defined and implemented by Intel faster than it otherwise might have been (according to the Wikipedia link again).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

or here (if you don't like/trust Wikipedia)

http://www.faculty.iu-bremen.de/birk/lectures/PC101-2003/13firewire/history.htm

I realize that this information too may be dated - but it was the most recent I could find. I welcome corrections and links to better information.

As you know, the Internet is full of "stuff".

That's a shame. By not doing it, you pass along incorrect/unverified information
I warned my potential readership that they should verify what I was saying or find their own information - something everyone should do all the time, no matter whose posting, book, essay or opinion piece they're reading. My apologies to any of the readership who may have felt that by doing so I was in some way "talking down to them" - that was not my intention, I am sure they already know enough to do this. (So it could be argued that I should just leave that bit out - but I don't want anyone to get the idea that I think I am an absolute source of knowledge - where is the middle ground?)

No - Apple invented Firewire.
Yes, they invented Firewire (see Bremen link) but the IEEE 1394 standard was defined by the IEEE - at the behest of Apple, pedantic I know, but I did misuse the term myself - "Firewire" would the trade name for Apple's implementation, IEEE 1394 being the standard (which Sony calls iLink - they're in the consortium too, but that is due to other patent implications from what I could find - not just IEEE 1394/Firewire stuff from what I found. I sloppily said "Firewire Standard" which probably does not actually exist - being that Firewire is an Apple trademark and any standard would be IEEE 1394. (which is an inaccuracy I must confess to.)

In the interests of full disclosure I'll cite myself - someone else can smite myself!
but I believe that Apple was one of the groups that defined the FW standard))
As I discovered "Firewire" is the trademark, IEEE 1394 would be the standard, the statement I made is at best sloppy error.

To bring this back to the point of the original poster - I think that Canon did itself a disservice by using the Apple logo and not including a cable. They've saved themselves a dollar or two but lost the goodwill of more than a few customers I'd guess. Much like the printer manufacturers who don't include a cable any more... though these days it is much more likely that a printer buyer will have a couple of spare USB cables than a camera buyer will have the correct cable lying around. Canon should have a least labelled it as needing the appropriate cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts