Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting and waiting for the next revision of Safari, where in the world is it?

I wonder why they are waiting so long to get it out (do not mention that I can go and get it off the web, I won't)

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
719 Posts
Probably because it is not ready for prime time

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
The unreleased v64 is fraught with bugs, more so than v60! Although numerous features have been added to v64, new (and some old) problems have obviously cropped up. To release v64 in it's illegally available state to the public would mean to force users to put up with less site stability, trading for the abilities of tabbed browsing and auto-forms fill. Comments I've received indicate v64 isn't worth the trouble... yet.

I don't know that Apple has the resources to put a concerted effort into developing Safari at a faster pace than is already being displayed. I suppose, with the rapidly approaching release of Panther (OS 10.3), many considerations are being made towards the improvements and alterations to Safari... IMHO.

I guess we'll have to remain patient and hope for worthwhile improvements... when the time comes.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Hey RtC, given your careful nature where software updates are concerned, I should think you are two Safari updates behind. ;) Why not throw caution to the wind and come up to the version before v60? That way, by the time v64 is ready, you'll be able to move to v60. :D

(Hmmm, seems you may have slipped into Bjornbro's Time Warp somehow.)

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
RtC,

You can get a pretty good idea of the progress being made by tracking Dave Hyatt's weblog. Seems like there are some significant new features being added but that significant bugs have also been encountered. I guess Apple is weighing up progress versus headaches. I wonder whether the final feature set for 1.0 has been set? From Hyatt's log it sounds like there is still much under the hood, basic work, to be done (rather than adding new features).

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the end, it will end up bloated and large like every other broswer out there if they add to many "features". I would like to see Keychain implementation and tabbed browsing and I will be happy.

Bjornbro, I haven't used Safari in a long long time.. I used it for a week or two after the announcement, and it's been collecting dust ever since. I use it to modify .Mac stuff and that's it.

Cheers,

RtC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.