Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

What is your primary reason for having a Mac?

• Home Use

Votes: 83 83.8%
  • Business Use (Design, Photo, Video, etc)

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I don't have a Mac

Votes: 4 4.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use your mac for?

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Five years ago, I had a choice to go PC or Mac. Why did I choose Mac?

A. I get frustrated very easily and have a short fuse so a Windows machine may not have been a good choice, especially for those who live beneath my windows. :eek:
B. The Windows' machine would be more expensive in the long-run because it would have needed to be upgraded on a yearly basis for all of the great games available in the Wintel world.
C. Macs are a lot cooler than Windows' machines and I liked the look.
D. No real Mac games so my productivity would be much higher. :clap:
E. I already paid for some Mac software and I didn't want to buy them again.
F. I own AAPL stock so why not? (I also owned Dell stock at that time too...hehehe)

Going PC was very tempting though because of the all of the games available but I think that I made the right choice. But, those games!!! *sighhhhhh*

·
Registered
781 Posts
Because I was using it for University and didn't want Windows crashing on top of a major assignment. :D

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Back in 2002 I was seriously thinking of switching to Mac, but went with a PC because I wanted to game. Two years later, I kicked my own @$$ for making that decision with numerous crashes, spyware, 15 XP reinstalls in a month, the final blow was when my main hard drive AND backup crashed, so I lost years and years of photos which I'll never ever get back. First switched my gf at the time to Mac in March 2005, then myself in July 2005, and never looked back.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have never owned or even worked on anything thing else other than a Mac. That includes home and professional environment. Our office has 1 PC that is used for payroll and I am not in charge of that department.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Always wanted to try a Mac - and loved it.
Just bought an iMac for the daughter

Garf

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was never anything else......

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had a Commodore when the first Macintosh came out in 1984. I fell in love with it, but it was $4,000 or so - for a 9-inch B&W screen, 128k ram, no hard drive and one 400k floppy. I was headed over to Germany - and the following year, CANEX stocked them. I sold all my C-64 stuff and bought a 128k RAM 'Skinny Mac'. I was fed up with all the copying of 100's of C-64 disks with cracked software. I was a copier with the C-64, not a user.

Been Mac all the way ever since - will never get a pc, at least one with windoze on it!

Now I am looking at getting a Mac Book or Mac Book Pro. Will I run windoze on it? I doubt it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I was at the Montreal Musician's show in 2005 and Apple Canada had a booth and I saw these really cool desktops (iMac G5s) and they had Garageband and Logic open with some Roland/Edirol interfaces and I was like, wow, that is such a cool recording studio setup. Though the prices were out of my range at the time, I hit the class ads and bought my first iMac G5 and loved everything else about the experience and haven't looked back since. Besides Windows at work and Windows 98 on a 1998 laptop, I was learning an OS from the ground up at the time. I have had 2 small children since, and I use iMovie and iDVD a helluva lot more than Garageband.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I originally went with original iMac purely based on looks. Advertising does work! I was 14 or 15 at the time. I really started to love the Mac when OS X came out, ok OS 10.1. I know use it for work (working in a commercial print shop in prepress and graphic design), and for home. I have a pretty good PC running Vista Ultimate at home as well, but I cant stand using it, so its just my downstairs juke box streaming my music from my Dual G5.

·
Registered
804 Posts
In 1982 or 83 at the Ontario Science Centre I shut down a new Lisa and it said on the screen, you may now safely shutoff your computer (something like that) and I thought that was pretty cool, so in 1987, when I had enough money, I bought an Apple 512ke for $2000 and an Imagewriter II for $850. I bought MS Works for $300, Cricket Draw for $300, macDraft for $250, Apple Basic for $140, 10 floppy disks for $47 and a printer cable.
With tax it was $4736.13.

20 years later, I got a 24 inch iMac, 2 G RAM, 500G HD, and a Nvidia 7600 with a wireless keyboard and mouse for almost $1000 less.

Have a PC for gaming though. Mac sort of dropped the ball on that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was a windows user for years. Very good with it, too. I was one of those 'unofficial tech support' guys whose friends and family always called to help fix their systems. And I was pretty good at that too. After all the tweaking, fixing, registry editing, shareware trying, .ini rewriting, etc. I was able to help with almost any problems my friends came up with. It was sort of a hobby.

A couple years ago I realized the situation wasn't getting any better. It didn't matter how many times I fixed problems, how many times I removed spyware, there were always going to be maintenance issues. And as much as I liked being helpful to my friends, I decided I just didn't want to be so familiar with my computer's inner workings anymore. My computer is a tool, and I want one that works, not one I can (or need to) fiddle with endlessly.

Since then, many of the people who used to call me for help with their PCs have also switched to Macs. I don't think it's because I can't always remember how to fix their systems anymore, but because they've decided it's better to not need to fix them at all.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts