Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why did apple remove the ability to start up your mac via the kybd.?

is apple assuming that computers will never shut down and just go to sleep?

ADB macs had power up via kybd.
early USB Macs had this facility but now it has disappeared.

anyone know why?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know, but it is annoying since my G5 sits on the floor. Then again, I'm using a Logitech keyboard so it wouldn't make a difference anyways.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I always liked the keyboard power button. One of those little things that made macs unique.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
It also blows my mind on why Apple took away this feature. As soon as the first Apple Pro Keyboard was introduced, the feature disappeared. :confused: And of course, starting your Mac from Apple's Wireless Keyboard (let alone any wireless keyboard) is impossible.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
It's especially annoying on the G5 as finding that button in a dark room is tough - no tactile feedback. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Probably due to the added expense. It also required the keyboards to be directly plugged into the Mac. A lot of people are plugging into the display's USB ports or are using third party keyboards.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If we all migrate over to bluetooth this will be a moot point, no? Unless the new bluetooth technology will allow for a power button to work, but then the batteries would probably not last as long as 6 months like Apple specs say.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Yeah this irks me too. Turning it off is no big deal, control + eject key will bring up the shutdown/restart dialog.

BRING BACK the power on button!!!!

How about we start a petition?

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
hey! watch what you say about that pathetic small Sawtooth keyboard. best keyboard ever made, damnit!! except my keys are a little ssssttttttiiiiicccccckkkkkkkyyyyyy!!!!!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
They stuck the darn power switch on my eMac way back on the right side behind the opeing for the ethernet / phone cables etc. On top of that, they made it flush with the cabinet making it extra hard to find. It's a b**ch to reach or find without turning the machine. I vote for the return of the keyboard switch. And another thing. They also made the power supply cord for the keyboard about 18 inches long which is OK if you have a simple desk. With a two level computer work station, it is not long enough to go through the holes provided and still reach the eMac's USB port. Instead one has to live with the cord in plain view and dangling across the upper desk level to the keyboard pull out drawer.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm relieved to see others also confused by apple's decision to stop making power up kbyd.

anyone here using an USB powermate?

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Regretable, that is. I love that feature and that's why I still use that pathetic small keyboard that shipped with the Sawtooth G4s. I hit that button, get the dialog, hit the "s" key and my Mac is asleep...great feature or the "r" key for a restart, or "enter" for shut down...or "esc" to cancel. That's the way it should be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts