Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my hunch.

As we all know the pc world has gone mhz crazy. And that's a pretty large world. But the manufacturers were in such a rush to outgun their competition they didn't think too much about redesigning the computer and dealing with the heat issue. They just installed bigger fans (at least those I've seen -- correct me if I'm wrong)

Meanwhile Apple not only had to think about moving to a different chip but also what to do about the heat issue. Finally they came up with the G5.

To me what is revolutionary about the G5 is not the speed of the processor -- Let's admit it. It's *not* the fastest personal computer. Not yet anyway -- but the design of the computer. In a few years a G5 will still be chugging along, cool as ice, while a super-fast pc will eventually melt from the its own tropical heat, or just explode.

Personally I'm waiting awhile to see the next line of G5s. The speeds can only get better, the prices too, and -- Note to Jobs -- for crying out loud, just make the darn thing a few inches taller to fit another optical drive and at least two more hard drives. Combined with Panther, that will be sweet.

That's my wish anyway.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'd imagine either the G5 will ship with Panther or Panther will be made available for free to G5 owners (especially if there's a 64-bit version of Panther).

I'd also imagine that some (if not most) application vendors will release a "G5-optimized" update to their software. Optimizing for the G5 only involves a simple recompile with the latest version of gcc, so there's not much cost involved for the vendor.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Though it has been announced that the PowerMac g5 will be sent with Mac OSX jaguar 64 optimized installed it would make sense to include a free coupon for g5 buyer to get Panther for free this fall. As for the issue of installing a clean install of panther and losing all your stuff, it doesn't have to be like that. Why don't you instead get a DVD-RW put all vital files, music, movies, etc and simply transfer and erase after installing panther. (I did that when going from 10.1.5 to Jag.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Probably Panther wont be on the G5s because Apple operates on a 18 month schedule for OS updates, and the G5s are coming out a few months before schedule.

--PB

·
Registered
645 Posts
Imagine all of you who get a new G5. You will transfer all of your stuff from OS 9.x to Jaguar. Then a few months down the road, Panther comes out. You buy Panther and find out Adobe has now updated it's Photoshop application to take advantage of Panther. Let's say most of the big software companies do this, wouldn't it make sense to have a clean install of Panther on your G5? Yes after 2-3 months you would have to back up or whipe your HD clean and install Panther on top of your other software. Am I making any sense? If I was one of those people still stuck in OS 9.2.2. I would wait until Panther came out and then buy a G5! This would hurt Apple's sales of G5's in August if everyone thought like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts