Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... or a PC for that matter...

It may sound like a dumb question, but it is a fair one: I bought a game cube a couple of months ago and it runs every game perfectly, without a trace of jagedness, all for $200.

Am I missing something if I don't fork out $5000 for a G5?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Internet gameplay, resolution, patches and mouse/keyboard combo.

Those are the reasons gaming on a computer is better (the big ones anyway). Until recently gaming over the internet was restricted to only computers and computers tend to lend themselves to internet gaming a heck of lot more easily then consoles. This however is changing.

Resolution, a NTSC TV displays a game at a resolution of 640x480. Most computer users have their displays set to 1024x768. In some games the higher the resolution, the more you can see (eg. RTS, where menus can come into play, you don't have to press a button to move down the menu, but its there on the screen).

Patches, was there a bug? Well on a console you can't exactly patch a CD/DVD. But with computers you can patch the program to fix bugs and stop cheating on net play (eg. on Battle.Net with StarCraft, Diablo II, WarCraft III).

Mouse/Keyboard Combo: Most people really prefer the mouse/keyboard combo for controls, as a keyboard has 104 keys, and then there is a point and click mouse. A console has a controller, and has maybe 14 buttons. With a keyboard you can set many "Shortcuts" while on a console, the game must either be made more simple or people have to forgo the shortcuts and do everything manually. (eg. In an RTS press h to go back to your base, but on a console you'd have to scroll on the map back to your base.)

That said, one of the reasons games run better on consoles, is that there is only one set of hardware to deal with (one video card, one controller, one sound chip, etc.). Also consoles are solely designed for gaming, unlike computers. Most consoles have their CPU's, graphic cards, etc. designed expressly for 3D game playing. Computers don't as they are also there to do other things.

Personally I like consoles for gaming, but there are just some games, that only a computer will work best. (Mostly FPS and RTS games).

FPS = First Person Shooter (eg. Halo, Unreal Tournament)
RTS = Real Time Strategy (eg. StarCraft, Red Alert 2)

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Solely for gaming? Not a good choice at all.
But if you consider that there are a bucket full of good games for the Mac, combined with all the other things you can do on this platform, beyond gaming, then it looks like a very good swiss army knife. If you put gaming as the priority, and the other uses as secondary, then a Winders box is a way better choice.

You want the best gaming bang for the buck, by an XBox, PlayStation, or similar.

Finally, the G5 doesn't cost $5000.00. They range from just over $2000.00, topping out at $4000.00.

-Howie

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Finally, the G5 doesn't cost $5000.00. They range from just over $2000.00, topping out at $4000.00.
And chances are with the Canadian dollar on the rise (at 0.7870 right now) prices will be a couple of hundred dollars less on the new G5 which should be announced sometime in late Jan or Feb.

As to the subject, if all your doing is gaming, an Xbox may be your best bet. If you like internet playing, using various mods/updates/patches then I prefer my Mac.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chealion:

Superb answer, as usual. I guess that those of us who are more on the leisurely side of gaming (you know a bit a flight combat here, of rally racing there) don't really need the 104 keys...

GW & Kosh:

Now you wouldn't want a Dual G5 without a proper screen would you?

So I guess I'll save my sponds to buy (metaphorically) many games, a couple of consoles, an iMac 20" and stilll have a bit of change left... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
You raise an excellent point, M.

Gaming tends to compel many to trade up their computers seemingly for no other good reason other than to have an enhanced gaming experience. I like to buy computers like cars: infrequently and drive them into the ground.

I'm not saying that people are wrong in upgrading, just that this practice is unfeasible for many of us (especially when you have to convince your wife that you really do need a new computer).

If you want to run Halo and get the most from it--and you're not prepared to plunk down the dinero for a G5 plus a cinema display--then you're better off just getting a console and bunch of games. You can sell those later at a depreciated rate that is far more attractive than that of computers

·
Registered
804 Posts
Actually, I am almost finished Halo on my 1 Ghz eMac. I really don't get what everyone is talking about when they say it is slow. It goes as fast as Unreal. Maybe because of the CRT? I hear that the drivers don't deal well with the resolution method of LCD's?? Weird. As a matter of fact, it loads almost instantly when you resume a game. I don't understand how it can load everything so quickly.
Medal of Honor is bearable, but, it doesn;t seem that great anyway.
My fav game is Grand Theft Auto Vice City. It plays nicely on a 900Mhz P3 with an ATI 8500 128MB video card.
I would have to say that the PC is really my fav gaming platform, only because I just like a keyboard and mouse to play. I can never win anything with the controllers. Maybe it's because I'm 40 and lack the gene for this? Still, I see the driving sims for XBox and wonder if a little practice may be order.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
>Now you wouldn't want a Dual G5 without a proper screen would you?

I'm just enough of a Mac fanatic to want accurate references regarding price and other things related to using a Mac. But yes, for a G5 and a good monitor, one could be on the hook for five grand. That's a lot of coin for sure.

-Howie

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey chealion,

Just to add, with the addition of hard drives to consoles (xbox and now ps2 has one for purchase) patches are possible and are in the works for many games. For example I'm currently playing a lot of Rainbow six 3 on xbox live(the online network for xbox) and a patch for it was just announced to be released at some point in the near future. Same goes for game content, new maps, levels, charcters and other content can be downloaded for both online and offline games.

Along with having downloadable content and updates like computers, consoles are much more cheat proof, for a number of reasons. And even if some one does get through to cheating (via a modded xbox) they won't get thorugh as xbox live detetcs mods and if they get through they won't last long as everyone needs an account(or gamer tag) to get on and it isn't as anonymous as most online computer games are. So once you are banned your account is banned. You can go ahead and get another one but it won't last again and who waants to pay for new accounts everytime EVEN IF they get thorugh to cheating in the first place.

but i don't want to sound like I'm a champion for consoles, just wanted to add some accuracy to the whole patches and cheating in the console world

:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
AdrianL - I didn't know they were providing patches now. But patching/fixing bugs in console games is still nowhere near the level it is on a computer.

My guess is we should see it start to mature with the next generation of consoles, but as of yet, consoles being upgraded (software wise) is still in its infancy, but is shown to work with the XBox.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, downloading and patching console games is very much in its infancy! Its only with the addition of a HD to consoles that this has been explored. I don't want to make it seem as every game has patches and downloads out, but it has begun and I'm sure we will see more and more of it. As all the next generation consoles due out in 05/06 are going to have HD's and well organized online communities/networks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
AdrianL :

The auto-update for Rainbow six 3 will fix a number of things (e.g. ELO and the use of the .50 caliber guns in multiplayer games), but all statistics will be erased-good for me, since I have a 280(kills):650(death) ratio.

My gamertag is Ingenu if you want to come by and kick my ass.

Regards.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
#1 reason: Mobile 1024x768 3D. I can play Warcraft III on the plane or during lunchtime at work.

This is one reason that since I already have a laptop for other purposes, I spend money on games for it rather than on console games and a console.

Why should I spend $200 on a console instead of 4 or 5 more games for my Mac?

I don't think the keyboard/mouse combo has any advantage over the PS2 controller though.

[ January 14, 2004, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: elmer ]

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ingenu,

So its, the ELO and .50 cal that are the main fixes... I guess thats good as I don't think anyone can figure out how the ELO works any way
I always look at the kill to death ratio anyway. Mine is currently aproximatley 960(kills) to 870(deaths) its fair i guess. Whats your fav game type any way, survival, team survival..?

Cheers!

·
Registered
350 Posts
AdrianL,

The ELO is a scoring method similar to the one used for chess. Higher the opponent's ELO, higher your ELO will be if you kill him. If you kill someone with a ELO lower than yours, your ELO will drop-it's an incentive to play with better players than you. It's a complex method, but you should find infos about it easily on the Net.

I play exclusively (98 % of my game time) Team survival games-I don't like to be a sitting duck for all "campers" out there. At least, I can hope for a teammate to save my butt on team survival.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ingenu,

Ah, I see, I figured the ELO ment something along those lines.
All this talk of rainbow six made me go and get a quick game, and while i was on I was told that the fix will also address a prob that happens sometimes where shots aren't registered on an oppenent. I guess accuracy issues.
I too only play team survival so I'll add you to my friends list. (look out for my gamertag: Grass Monkey)

Elmer,

The whole keyboard and mouse vs controller is a whole new can of worms

I personally think it comes down to preferances and what you have become used to. I have spent most of my FPS time with a controller usining the dual thumbstick combo and I fel at home with it. Especially with the xbox S controller (not the original mamouth one that came with the xbox on release, but the smaller redesigned one) I think it is one of the best if not best controllers ever. It may seem a bit strange at first but its the best controller for FPS IMO. The thumb sticks are well placed and are grooved so your thumbs fit nicely in and don't slip. Along with its L+R triggers in place of buttons makes it really nice for FPS. IMO I'd rather pull a trigger than push a button or click a mouse to fire a weapon. But thats just nit picking I guess.

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts