Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, buying an upgrade card for your Mac will be almost twice as expensive as the PC version. I know we are a smaller market but come on!! The Radeon 7000 is far from new and should be less than $100 CAD. But since ATI and Nvidia set the prices, is there anybody out there that have had success in flashing PC-ROM cards to Mac cards ??

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought a PC PCI 64MB Radeon 7000 off of eBay, and had no trouble flashing it over with a Mac ROM. It's worked just fine since I put it in my 7600. Some people have reported problems with them not working well for video, but I haven't expeirenced anything bad.

There is a URL to a German newsgroup that has full instructions that's been mentioned a bunch of times on ehMac.

The hardest part of me, was getting the PC I used to boot off the other video card, so I could flash the one I had bought.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I played Golf with a couple of ATI execs the other day, and they had no real explanation for the price differential except to say it was because of the market size and the cost of catering to this market. They also said that the mac & pc cards are identical, except for the bios.

To me it doesn't seem like smart business to sell a 32mb PCI card for ove $200, when the machines these cards go in are worth little more than that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I too have successfully flashed a PC ATI Radeon 7000 to a Mac video card. According to the instructions you have to make sure that the card has DDR memory in it, not SDR.

I can email you the web page with the instructions.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't mind if they ship the cards (initially) without any Mac drivers. I don't mind if I have to reflash the ROM. What bugs me is to see money wasted on two different distribution systems with the smaller market paying through the nose for the same hardware.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I copied the (very long) web page. I think it has moved or something so the URL won't do. Just send me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail the page to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts