Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our G4/400 with stock HD, you can hear the hard drive grind away even if you're several feet away from the G4 - and it's not a failing HD - it was like that from day one new from the box. Then I saw a Power Mac G5 1.6 GHz on display - samething - fans are noiseless, hard drive grinds away at an extremely loud and annoying noise. Every G4 tower I use, I can hear the HD from a mile away if it's the stock HD (IBM, I think).

I can put my ear to my Maxtor drive (replaced my Apple one) and can't hear it. What's with Apple and loud as heck hard drives?

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i agree - my g4 at work sounds like it has a woodpecker inside of it...more noticeable in 9 than X for some reason...

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine is super quiet. and its ibm. the maxtors are really quiet too.
Lars, where did you see the G5 in new brunswick? i wanna see one
CompuSmart in Moncton, on Mountain Road. There is a CompuSmart in Fredericton - I don't know, but they may very well have a G5 on display as well - they had a iMac and eMac on display last time I dropped in.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Terra Consultants in Fredericton has the G5 on display.. don't support CompuSmart.. they don't "care" for Macs at all.. if they are like the CompuSmart here in town..

Cheers,

RtC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts