Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Ok we have iPhoto 4, iMovie 4, iDVD 4 and all is cool except for one thing, Apple doesn't allow you to pick one of the cool new transitions in iPhoto's slide show and carry that over to iDVD 4. Now what the heck is the point of making Cube, Flip etc.. in iPhoto 4 if you can only use them to burn in iPhoto? Why can't Apple make the rest transfer over like they do with Dissolve to iDVD 4? What the heck is up with that? I don't get it.

Apple makes iPhoto so much cooler then decides to kill the features EXCEPT ONE for who knows what reason when transfering a SlideShow over to iDVD 4. Why can't Apple just keep everything the same and keep us happy? :D

Now my question...... since I can't use iDVD 4 with the new SlideShow features can I burn a SlideShow onto a DVD in iPhoto 4 that will play in any DVD player? Or how do I go about doing that? Do I need to use a CD-R instead?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'm assuming the reason for this is Quartz Extreme. That cube-spin effect is being created on the fly by using the processing power of the video card. To save that as a QuickTime movie for DVD burning it would be quite a complex operation. The processor would have to take the data from Quartz Extreme and translate the location of every pixel into the resulting QuickTime movie.

I'm not saying Macs can't handle that kind of processor load, because obviously a G4 or G5 processor is going to be better than anything on a Radeon card, but I guess Apple figured it was easier to leave it alone.

Maybe in iLife '05?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I don't have iLife '04 yet, but here's a thought..

Can you export the slideshow from iPhoto 4 as a QuickTime movie? If you could do that then you could import that movie into iDVD and burn it as a movie instead of a slideshow.

Or, you could import it to iMovie first and and put chapter markers at each of the slide transitions for better control.

Would that work?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
That's the first thing I did when I read the original post.

No luck, it just uses the default fade in/out transition.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Actuallly you might want to try Quicktime Pro...

I did some searching regarding this problem and a thread on AppleInsider.com clued me in.

1st. You export a Quicktime movie from iPhoto
2nd. You open that movie in Quicktime Pro
3rd. You export that movie from Quicktime Pro to a Quicktime Movie using a different video compression (I'm not talking about export as DV, you want to export as quicktime and go into the video settings and select a different video compression and set the frame rate to something like 24frames/sec)
4th. You then import that saved quicktime movie into iMovie and then iDVD.

NOTE... have LOTS of disk space as your files will be huge.

I did this and it worked like a charm... although the rendering took forever... and wathc out for iMovie as it has a limit on the size of imported file it will accept.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you CarbonKen and PosterBoy for those thoughts on the problem. Apple has put out one of those Discussion pages where they know about the problem and say there is no fix as of yet, perhaps iLife 05? I hope so as it seems silly not to be able to use those other transitions in iPhoto4.

da_jonesy,

I'm confused as to what you mean by all that? Are you talking about keeping the lets say Cube transition effect in iPhoto4 and by using QT Pro and then iMovie and then iDVD 4 the end product comes out with seeing the Cube effect on the DVD from iDVD?

That seems like a lot of work, but thanks for the tip

So, there is no way to burn a SlideShow with the cube effect directly from iPhoto 4 onto a DVD or CD that will work in a DVD player other then a computer? Sorry, but I'm trying to figure this all out before wasting tons of CD-R's or DVD-R's, as you can tell I have never burned photos from iPhoto before.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Yeah, it is a lot of work, but if you want to perserve the transition from an iPhoto slideshow to a DVD, that's the way to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts