Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have to ask, why do some people spell everything to do with Macs in capital letters?

It's 'Mac', not 'MAC'. 'MAC' stands for Media Access Control.

So why do some people spell it EMAC and IMAC and POWERMAC? One person here even goes so far as to spell OS names with capitals, like JAGUAR and PANTHER.

I just ask because in most cases it is either confusing, or just reads like shouting. It's a peeve of mine.

--PB

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
PB

Bachelor of Philosophy : pass book : permanent base : personal best : phenobarbitone : plastic-bonded : premium bond : Primitive Baptists : Publications Board : purl into back of stitch (Knitting) : power brakes : Prayer Book... and of course... PowerBook

;)

[ October 10, 2003, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: vacuvox ]

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I find Imac, Emac, and i-tunes more annoying. Its iMac, eMac and iTunes. Imac looks horrible, while iMac looks trendy, go figure.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I'm with you on this, Chealion. Annoys me too when people use capital letters for no good reason.

·
Registered
273 Posts
So many postings. So much time for inane peeves. lol

I know I'm guilty as charged. Guess ehmac needs an editor to go over all the postings and correct the periods & commas & capitlas etc. etc.

--------------------------------------------------
"Get Down!" - Governor Schwarzenegger

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
So many postings. So much time for inane peeves. lol

I know I'm guilty as charged. Guess ehmac needs an editor to go over all the postings and correct the periods & commas & capitlas etc. etc.
It was just a comment - get over it. Now that you know it annoys people, you can prevent it from happening more often. :D

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was said:
I always think peanut butter when i see PB

So do I! I think that is why I keep writing it at the end of my posts.

Guess ehmac needs an editor to go over all the postings and correct the periods & commas & capitlas etc. etc.

No, I think it would be much better if everyone endeavoured to make their posts as readable as possible. Big, un-paragraphed posts also bother me.

But I was seriously interested to know, why write it all in capitals? I mean, if you are trying to bring more emphasis to a certain point, then sure, but how often does extra emphasis need to be brought to an eMac (or iMac or PowerMac or iBook or anything else)?

--PB

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was just squeezing a little lemon on a paper cut. lol

I was just messing with the two of you. My wife is an english major and is always correcting my mistakes but sometimes I get lazy on the net post boards. It all adds to the fun.
--------------------------------------------------
"Ya, but they were all bad." - Governor Schwarzenegger

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 reasons:

1) It looks better that way
2) it was originally supposed to be 2 words, but my thumb missed the spacebar and the rest is history.

--PB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts