Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I registered my new DP 2Ghz G5 & Cinema Display ( :D :D :D ) online with Apple this past weekend, and ordered the Panther upgrade while I was at it.

Has anyone else ordered Panther?

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I'm not pre-ordering my copy... just picking it up when it's out. My wife is taking French language training at Algonquin College which allows me to get a copy at Academic pricing by proxie.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I pre-ordered mine on Friday

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'm old and crotchity... I don't believe in paying in advance for an unreleased product....

When it is in... I'll go buy it and get my instant gratification then...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Im not going to be a sucker, will wait a few weeks see it in action, read some reports, then I'll go for it.

(I don't completely trust the monkeys at apple after 10.2.8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Order mine on Thursday, can't wait!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I'm with insertclevername on this one. I will wait to see if there are any dreadful side-effects and then go for it. :confused:
:D

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I think some of you are a wee bit over-protective here. Mac OS X update 10.2.8 was a disaster for some Macs, but the fix patch that was released just shortly after fixed all the problems, yet some of you are still worried that 10.3 Panther wil crash and burn your machine(s). Some how I highly doubt 10.3 will put half of all Mac users out of business. But whatever floats your boat.

Can't wait for 10.3! :cool:

·
Registered
523 Posts
If reactions are good after the first couple of weeks, I'll get it then (and after corresponding with a developer regarding speed gains on older hardware, I fully expect reactions to be good). But if there seems to be some trouble I'll wait for 10.3.1 - why mess with 2 perfectly good Jaguar installations?!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Lars...

Not overly cautious... 10.2.8 is a blip... sheet happens ocasionally...

But I hated 10.1.x and Jaguar has not convinced me it is any better....

Panther, while still not convincing me that OS X is ready... Make me want to play with it...

Apple has been marketing OS X and the only OS since its inception... Blah, blah, blah... OS 9 is dead....

The continuation of that aurguement seems to indicate that for many... it is not... yet....

Some users love OS X do death.... Many do not...

Puma and Jaguar have not convinced me that they are not more trouble that they are worth....

Panther is putting up a good reason to try it... But giving Apple money before they deliver is just nutty...

Ask anyone who preordered Deus Ex 2 last year and aris still waiting... Great software sometimes gets delayed...

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I don't believe in paying in advance for an unreleased product....
I don't think they charge your credit card until the product ships ...

I'm buying - if I have the willpower I will be waiting a few days before I install it. Font Book, Expose', Fast User Switching and the new Finder all look great. Also reports are that Cubase SX runs faster on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Separate installs for G3, G4, and G5!! Mine is ordered for sure!

- J

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ordered a copy for home the moment I found out it was available. The fast user switching is a must-have feature for our home, where my wife and our homeschooled son share an iMac.

I will be upgrading my work computer at some point, but I might wait a couple of weeks to move completely over, to make sure the bugs are ironed out. (Then again, I might be overcome with impatience and upgrade it right away as well.)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hehehe =)

I'm heading to the University Village Apple Store in Seattle, WA for "Night of Panther" on Friday!

This is gonna be great!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
WHOA! I just headed over to the Apple Store US and I saw that Panther was $129. I knew this already and that was what I was expecting to pay. But... my brother-in-law is a teacher at a Junior High down there in Washington and I thought... I mine as well check it out =):

$69!! That is AWESOME! Now... I just have to remember to tell him to bring his school ID to the Apple Store..... =)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts