ehMac banner

Have/will you jailbreak?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious how many people out there have/plan to jailbreak their iOS devices now that the jailbreak for the iPhone 5 and 6.1 is finally out.

Any advice on reasons to? or not to? I'm having trouble finding a really compelling reason to bother as I'll have to do a full restore upgrade first via itunes prior to JB'ing (at least according to the comments I've read). Kinda seems like it might be more trouble than its worth, but I'm very interested to hear what others have to say. I would kind of like to play around with it, but that doesn't seem like a good enough reason...

·
Registered
853 Posts
iOS satisfies my needs at the base level. Jailbreaking only ever caused crashing and slow downs for me. Not worth the slight gain in functionality.

Any non-approved app I really want I can always find the source code (if it exists) and compile it though Xcode and install on my iPhone through my developer account. Don't have much these days just a DOS emulator to play old PC-DOS games.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Lots of folk refuse to respond to public polls.

XX)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I haven't jailbroke in awhile. The features they have gradually added to iOS have me fairly satisfied. At least enough so that I don't feel having to re-jailbreak every time there is an OS update. I do miss SBSettings though. It alone temps to me to jailbreak again at times.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I guess i'm one of the few to actually go through the jailbreak via evasi0n. It's been a bit odd having a jailbreak since there hasn't been one out for a while, but it's a bit "finicky" right now. There has been too many evasi0n users (including myself) using Cydia and downloads/purchases have been hit or miss. It's been stable so far (as of Feb 8/13), but some downloads trip up HTTP errors and so on. For anyone thinking of jailbreaking, wait it out a bit if your not inclined to getting jailbroken right now. I think server activity should stabilize within the next week or two.

·
Banned
285 Posts
Don't need to jailbreak, I can already access my filesystem and install code outside of what Apple deems fit for my device :)

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
I'm actually more interested in jailbreaking my Apple TV. But I think it has the latest firmware and seasonpass is not up that particular challenge hey. Then I'll install that software from fire core....

·
Registered
464 Posts
I did it right away. I missed my little tweaks from when I jailbroke it at iOS 5. I'm trying to go easy on the enhancements this time because I definitely noticed slowdown/stability problems the last time I went nuts and installed everything. This time around I'm sticking to "annoyance fixers" and the truly useful, lightweight stuff:

Zeppelin - custom carrier icons (or none)
Blurred NC Background - replace the ugly linen with a translucent notification screen
Bolt - get rid of battery icon; only use percentage charge (I like cleaning up the status bar)
Icon Renamer - because some apps have stupidly long names
NCSettings - a great toggles widget
Action Menu - adds some useful things to the usual cut/copy/paste/etc menu
Five Icon Dock - not using the fifth spot yet, but nice to have installed

Also some tweaks to ditch Newstand and close folders after opening an app. And of course I enabled Facetime over 3G on my iPhone 4. Take that, Apple!

I'm finding that it runs just fine this way.

·
Premium Member
17,728 Posts
Lots of folk refuse to respond to public polls.

XX)
I believe I was reading where Stateside this is now a criminal offense. Jail time and/or a half million dollar fine for first time jail breakers.

Bend over for your corporate masters.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I believe I was reading where Stateside this is now a criminal offense. Jail time and/or a half million dollar fine for first time jail breakers.

Bend over for your corporate masters.
The irony was when the Yanks made it a criminal offence to jailbreak or unlock, the CRTC was forcing Canadian ISPs to unlock devices on demand from customers. What a different perspective on the issue.

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
I've never jailbroken any device but am highly considering trying evasi0n on my iPhone 4S and then possibly my iPad 4. For those of you who are concerned about the passcode bug that was found recently, Apple is planning on releasing IOS 6.1.2 next week (rumour?). It might be a good idea to wait for an updated Evasi0n comes out for the newer firmware.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I jailbroke all my devices.. I've been jailbreaking since my 3G... So my iPhone 5, ipad 2, ipad mini and my wife's 4s are all jailbroken.. I can't wait for the atv jailbreak to some day get released.. I hope..

I actually jailbroke my mini as soon as I got it.. Took it out of the box, set up iCloud.. Jailbroke it.. I wasn't going to jailbreak this time.. But I really love intelliscreenx and folderenhancer, and a few other tweaks..

I was amazed with how easy the evasi0n jailbreak was compared to previous ones were.. No restores needed!!! If I knew it was that easy, I would have done it on day 1!!!

An I just found out that xbmc is working on 6.1 now, which is the main reason I want to jailbreak my at.. So it's installed now on my mini.. I'm all set!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts