·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Oooohhh ooohhhh, me me!! I want one.

If new ones come out, I'm buying one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
according to the artists, it will be harder to use than the existing models... just because the buttons are in different places for play/pause, menu, forward, back; but if you ask me, I'd say there will be additional buttons, not just the same old 4.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh I agree, but if it isn't, I could always sell my existing iPod for a reasonable price, so I can afford one of the new ones ;)

Oh yeah, one other feature that's supposedly included is USB 2.0? It'll be interesting to see where they actually put all these ports... I'm assuming they're still going to support FireWire, their own technology, eh?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
nice. very nice.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm not a firm believer that Apple will provide USB 2.0 'Hi-Speed' compliance to a Windows version of the iPod 4.0. Sure, they could have a EHCI/OHCI bridge in the dock, and you could use either a USB 2.0 or FireWire cable, and the bottom of the iPod has a custom multi-pin 'PDA-style' connector on the bottom which recharges the battery and allows for data transfer/control, but we run into the problem that USB 2.0 doesn't have the amperage/voltage of FireWire 400 - Windows users would need a power-adapter for the docking cradle for the in-dock charging feature. Plus, Apple hasn't exactly been too supportive of Intel's patented I/O Serial bus (USB 2.0). So, that leaves Apple having to provide a docking cradle with USB 2.0 and a Wall-wart power-adapter for Windows users, and FireWire-only Mac one with no Wall-wart. This latter option means that Apple must produce/out-source production on two Dock parts and the PS adapter, and provide USB 2.0 drivers for the iPod v4. With nForce2, KT400/400A, KT600, i845G, i845PE, and newer proto boards all supporting and bundling FireWire connectivity on the boards themselves fro the PC, and Creative's Audigy/Audigy2/Extigy2 all providing 1 or more 'i.Link/SB1394' ports, I SINCERELY doubt we'll see a USB 2.0 iPod v4 from Apple for Windows users.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I JUST ordered mine on the 5th of April. It is in transit as we speak :mad: That is SO my luck that a new one would be anounced a day after mine leaves for shipping. Damn it. I wonder if I can send it back....(I ordered a whole crap load of stuff at the same time so I won't know what box it's in so I can get the mailbox's plus to refuse it :mad:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
then again maybe the new ones will suck and i'll be happy I got the last edition of the previous model.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they haven't released one yet, pam. this is just a rumor.

Phil

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by emceepj:
they haven't released one yet, pam. this is just a rumor.

Phil
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah but it's coming. I just know it

:mad:

·
Registered
223 Posts
(As Puff Daddy's "All About The Benjamins" plays from my ipod at full volume)

What, can't hear you.

:D

You're right though. But who can deny the lure of small shiny objects.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Librarian:
whatever. more junk for a nation of consumers who advocate, yet again, the presence of sweat shops in the third world.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The iPod is made in sweatshops? And you know this how? Where is the computer made that you used to post your message? Are all electronics junk and made in sweatshops?

Nice first post on ehMac. :rolleyes:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,530 Posts
Still, The Librarian (welcome to ehMacLand) does have a point about consumerism. I know that the various governments of the world want us to buy and keep buying, whether we need things or not. I cannot say anything about the "sweatshops" pertaining to the computer industry, however, I can speak about the clothing and footwear sweatshops that employ children in the third world. This has been a big issue for UNICEF, and continues to be an issue. Personally, I buy no article of clothing, no matter how much more it costs me, if something is made in a country that still utilizes child labor to manufacture certain items. Countries such as Canada have child labor laws that help to protect children. Thus, "Made in Canada" means something on the label.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Um...may we also note that this is a hunch from THINK SECRET!!! The website that has been notoriously out of the loop when it comes to allegedly "new" Apple products.

Anyone remember the "iWalk" debacle? Let's all inhale deeply...hold for a few seconds...now exhale just as slowly. Repeat as necessary.

Pam...the current iPod rocks!!! Best bloody MP3 player on the market...you have nothing to worry about.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
iWalk debacle was Spymac. ThinkSecret has been closer to the mark. MacRumors seems closest of all (but it rarely originates rumours and its own tend to be very close to the relase date - they hit the 12/17" powerbooks spot on but one day before MWSF).

Apple will release new iPods within the next few weeks. The current iPods kickass and make other mp3 players look like poor pretenders. Unfortunately, iPods are expensive and I get the feeling that Apple intends to retain the high end by not dropping the entry price but, instead adding more features/capacity at similar price points. Still, I'm in line.....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Apple will definitely bring AAC support to these new iPods, as well as firmware updates for the old iPods. New iTunes version will have to come out -- support for ripping CDs to AAC. One STEP closer to the "grave" for MP3s. AAC: Higher quality and requires approximately 30% less data than MP3 files. Apple had BETTER put in support for allowing the user to "create playlists on the fly" with iPod. iPod shouldn't always be a complete "slave" requiring a computer to alter and create new playlists. OLED colour screen -- probably won't see it on an iPod until next year. The backing of the iPod should not be a polished stainless steel-- everyone hates scratches. They should give it the "brushed" feel/look -- more durable -- found on the Aluminum PowerBooks. I could definitely see the new iPods being metal top/bottom -- none of that "susceptible to multiple scratches" acrylic/whatever clear/white material on top. I believe that Apple must have received enough feedback on this by now -- scratches. It did open up a HUUUUGGGGGEEEE 3rd party aftermarket for iPod cases, however -- props to them.

I wouldn't mind an iPod that looks more professional like a new Al PowerBook than the iceBook. The low priced iPod 2 should be no higher than $379CDN and top out at $649 - $699CDN -- few more perks and GBs. Apple MUST get competitive with their pricing structure or pack up. Yes, the iPod is all about the music and ease of use, but a small voice recording feature would go a LONG way with many consumers. Although crummily designed, the Creative Nomad Zen/Jukebox 3 and eDigital Oydssey 1000, have pricing on their side at this point. MANY people SEE these as being cheap with PLENTY of capacity and vast features to boot -- they may have never owned/used an iPod to understand its coolness/ease of use.

What would YOUR ULTIMATE iPod 2 have feature/design-wise -- your dream iPod???

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Regarding thinksecret's purported "scoop," count me among the sceptics. What has been reported is not backed with the slighted bit of evidence other than a scribble from some artist. If it were true, it would represent a major step back for this product (in my view). As it currently stands, the iPod is a winning design...why would Apple mess with a good thing?

Granted, I suspect there might be some hardware tweaks in the next release, among them would be the obvious bump-up to bigger hard drives.

The matter of USB 2.0 support is an interesting dilemma. Adding it would make sense given that PC users now comprise the majority share of iPod owners (shocking, but true). It would be foolish of Apple to not make it as easy as possible for Windows users to keep buying these things....and since most new PCs are expected to have USB 2 (but fewer will have FireWire), this seems like a logical move. Mind you, Apple might decide to use the iPod as a means of ensuring that PC makers continue to support FireWire...but I dunno...that seems like a stretch to me.

PS Pamela...don't fret this rumour talk. Apart from the lack of a built-in mic, there isn't anything that I feel is missing with my 10G iPod.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts