Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just in: according to Ipoding.com, the new iPods have an undocumented ability to record. Apparently it's still in the development stage, so that's why it wasn't mentioned earlier this week. Very, very cool.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
On my wishlist if for such a device to be able to take direct input from a stereo playing some of my dad's old 78's or my own LP's. I am not much of an audiophile, and the hisses, pops and crackles of a record don't bother me. However, I have such a collection of LPs that may never be placed on CDs that it would be wonderful to capture them in a new iPod. Or, to transcribe my son's early attempts to talk, which I recorded on audiotape.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you can already do that, Dr. G.

Using a special RCA Y-cable (sells for about $8), you plug two ends into the out port on your stereo, then you plug the other end of the cable (a skinnier, single plug) into either the line-in on your Mac or into an iMic (USB microphone that can be purchased for about $50). Next, you run an application that lets you record MP3s from an audio feed. New Macs include one such app, called Sound Recorder, but there are others. Voila, you have MP3s that you can burn to CD.

Here's a page that talks about how all of this is done.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
PG, you get a Dr.G. "Everything is free at the Cafe Chez Marc" card for this info. I assume that the new iMacs might have this feature of input and then CD creation? This is why I want to get the iMac at a time that I can enjoy/learn/explore/create. My wife is having family visit us this year, rather than us going out to Calgary/Edmonton/BC/Sask. Thus, we will be home in August, although I may be somewhat "distracted" to play tour guide. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I believe the newest iMacs have a line in port yes, and for all your CD burning needs, get Roxio Toast Titanium 5, which comes with a recording program as well as the CD burning app and a CD Label Making app.

Or, for a few bucks more, get Toast With Jam which includes even more for your audio needs.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
Thank you also, PosterBoy, for this info. Your card for free service at the Cafe Chez Marc is also in the mail. I have read some good review about the audio side of the Roxio products. I shall look into the specs of these two software programs. Sadly, Roxio, which bought out MGI, in which I owned stock, has not been able to turn their PhotoSuite products back into the quality of their earlier products. I read a very poor review of their PhotoSuite 5, and I recall the same magazine rated their PhotoSuite 3 (the version that I utilize on my Dell) so very highly. Still, this will all be moot before the end of summer when iPhoto takes control of all of my photographic needs. If the truth be known, my photographic/video side will take charge of the iMac, and the audio side will have to be patient and know that iLife is a total experience when time permits. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure what a "Cafe Chez Marc" card is...but sure sounds good! No doubt there's plenty of Newfoundland fare on that menu! Glad I was able to lend a hand with this...let us know what the final results sound like.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
PG, an "Everything is free at the Cafe Chez Marc" card is just that -- it entitles you to free everything at the cafe. There are treats from all over the world, along with fine teas and coffees. All you have to do is walk in, show them the card, and it is all free. Whatever you order, whenever you place the order, it's free. It's the least I could do for someone that offers to share their expertise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts