Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing who has what (card, base etc...). I'm looking to possibly buy a 3rd party card for the TiBook as I recall some antenna issue with the 1st gen TiBooks (like mine). But I heard that I'll have to d/l a driver for a 3rd party card to run on X. I'm also getting my hands on a D-Link 614+ for a relly good price. I need to be online while cooking - I've burnt my rice too may times! :mad:

I'd really love to hear what card/base combo ehMacians have. Esp if you're running a 3rd party card. I came across a KB article where they mention that the "Lucent WaveLAN 11 MB PC card or the Orinoco IEEE Turbo 11 MB PC card can be used on PBs with Mac OS 9". No mention of X though. I found some Lucent WaveLANs online, so I wanted to know if anyone had some past history with them.

Right now, I have a Airport Card running in Kenya (my Pismo - ;) ), with a NetGear MR814 --> work setup. All is good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just got my new 800MHz iBook last night and set it up with the D-Link 614+ router and AirPort card. After fumbling with the setup for a while, it works perfectly. Haven't had trouble connecting to the Web from downstairs, while the PC and its cable modem are upstairs.

I'm SUPER happy with the girlfriend's engagement gift to me. :D

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
My TiBook 400 is running an OEM Airport card to a Netgear MR314 Wireless Router hooked to Cable Internet. I haven't had any range issues that have plagued other TiBook owners.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gmark, you seem to have stellar tastes in PBs. ;)

So the range/signal was cool... I'm looking to maybe get that 3rd party card - as I may be able to get this D Link base and this Lucent card (if it works well) all for sub $100! Hey - when you shell out for h/w liek PBs - it's nive to know that you can get deals other places.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The Airport card from Apple is essentially just an Orinoco card, so most of the time if you plug an Orinoco card into the cardbus slot of your PowerBook it should just work, assuming of course you have the right card.

Orinoco and Farallon recently became Proxim, and here is their product page.

I don't remember exactly which carrd it is though.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I bought 3 Lucent Wavelan Silver Turbo cards awhile back to use on my Wallstreets and PC laptops. These show up on the desktop as Airport cards in OS 9. They also work just fine in OS X too. Just install the Airport software and you're on your way.

They also work fine in PC laptops too, but you will need the Windows driver.

I haven't seen these cards for sale lately since they have been replaced by newer models.

If you can find some cheap then they are a great way to go. Most of the other cards are either expensive or don't have Mac drivers.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
2 x Apple Airport Card,
1 x Graphite Base Station at home,
1 x Extreme Base Station at work

I don't have time to play around with third party stuff.

Time is Money

·
Registered
109 Posts
Airport in my G4 TiBook
Airport in my 867 DP
Airport base station.

I'm a happy camper!

- smw

p.s. wife unit just looked over shoulder and insisted I add the following:

Airport in Wife Unit's iBook

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Here's my setup,

G4 tower wired via CAT5 cable to a D-Link DI-614+ wireless router. 12" powerbook with an Airport Extreme card and a Dell Inspiron 8200 w/ a TruMobile 1150 PCMCIA card. All happily working together.

I'm getting more than satisfactory range with the router and the 12" PB. The router is in the basement office and I have a signal all the way to the third floor of the house as well as to the far reaches of my back yard.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow.... Thanks all for the responses so far. So no one's got a card that needed a driver? Glad to hear that I can just plug the Lucent Card right in... That's what I was hoping to hear. Found some online for $20 . Thinking about taking that plunge for my TiBook.

Heart, I hear you dude. I like the Apple Airport card too, but the TiBook is such an odd shape anyhow that I don't mind this card sticking out. My Pismo's lap bag is such a snug fit, I couldn't even fit my finger between the edges...

SO I should also look for a Proxim and Orinico cards, Nice...

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
it was said:
I bought 3 Lucent Wavelan Silver Turbo cards awhile back to use on my Wallstreets and PC laptops.

Lucent's home networking divisions (or at least the WaveLAN products) are also now a part of Proxim.

Just thought I'd mention.

And at home I have an original ABS hooked into a D-Link router, and an AirPort card in my iBook.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
Ohenri, that ebay link is selling Wavelan Bronze. I am not so sure that the Bronze version will work on a Mac. I seem to remember that only certain models of the Wavelan cards were compatible.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Rob. Have you found any docs stating that? I see that most have gone towards the Silver and up. That would make sense I suppose. There is an Apple KB doc which makes mention of 3rd party cards (at the bottom) - but nothing specific. At least I do know that the Silver works.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
Ohenri,

My Lucent Technologies Wavelan card says it's a Wavelan Turbo 11Mb Silver. On the back it says P/N:012372A and also T/N 94608160

I have been using this card with OS 9.1 without any drivers. I thought I had it working in OS X too, but I almost never use X except to experiment. I tried it tonight and found out it doesn't work.

Not to be deterred, I found this open source driver for OSX on this site wireless home page

I downloaded the beta version for Jaguar and am now writing this on a wireless connection using OS 10.2.3. So far so good!

·
Registered
73 Posts
1 ghz Ti, D-Link 614+

Works pretty sweet. I also have a 933 Powermac with a printer. The Powerbook can also print wirelessly through the tower.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts