Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the midst of deciding which host to choose for a website.

Having looked at numerous bargain US hosts, I've decided to stay in Canada--pay a little more but feel comfortable trusting them with my credit card.

These are some of the Canadian servers I've come up with so far:
dotcanada.com
canaca.com
webserve.ca

Has anybody had experience with any of these? Or, can you think of any similar servers you'd recommend?

·
Registered
591 Posts
There is a Canadian hosting company in Sask. that I host all my client sites at,

blacksun.ca

They are INCREDIBLE. Their prices are very reasonable, they have many packages available.

But their biggest bonus is their insanly great customer service.
I have used them for over two years now and have well over 10 domains hosted with them, they are wonderful.
Check em out.
My 2cents,
_F

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
www.tera-byte.com
Based out of Edmonton.
Horrible service, too much downtime, and expired security certificates (And complining about any of the above gets you nothing)

www.kualo.com
Based out of Kelowna.
Great hosting, fantastic Stats viewer, Help is a little weird (Pretty much online only, no nrealy phone support), but always fast replies and good help.

www.lexi.net
Based out of Calgary. Does the hosting for my company (All the TV show websites). Always great service, never had a problem with them.

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Actually, my friend hosts my site on a Sun box sitting in his basement running Apache server.

It's kinda sad to say, but he's had the most uptime and better tech support than the three commercial ISP's I've dealt with for clients sites.

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
I should add, it's free too.. so yes, I am very happy! He even provides better webstats than the pay ISPs I've dealt with!

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I am running a server in my office over high-speed cable and use zonedit.com for free DNS service and no-ip.com for free DHCP IP redirection. I only have myself and my cable provider for complaints. Cheap. Cheap. Cheap.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Yes... in a few weeks time, we'll be moving ehMac over to Mac-ISP Canadian Mac based company. Host your site on a XServe!

We'll let you know how it goes. So far, the customer service has been the absolute best. Their prices are amazing too for the amount of space, bandwidth and features you get.

Visit their page. The little music that plays with the flash animation always gets my toes tappin.
Will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To find a dependable and reasonably priced Canadian internet host is sure not easy.

I've looked at two hosts who say they're Canadian (or are at least located in Canada) but list their charges in US dollars; hosts whose promises sound way too good to be true; and even one whose Terms of Use policy seems to allow them to take possession of my material, royalty free, for any purpose, etc. -- much like the infamous Yahoo policy after they took over GeoCities.

Thanks everybody for these good suggestions, I'll check them all out.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
How is Mecca for speed with unlimited BandWidth?

Do you have any video or anythign hosted with them that I could check out?
I am interested with the videos I host!

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I've been doing business with www.domaindirect.com for years and I've been very pleased. I've never had even so much as a hickup in service and they are meticulous in emailing advisories well in advance when they make changes to their set-up.

Toronto company (it's actually Tu-Cows) but they charge in US dollars since nearly 90% of their business comes from there.

Worth having a look.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"ehMac had 18.8 GB of bandwidth last month."

That's an awful lot ehMax. How much space do you use then?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Just as a matter of interest, ehMac had 18.8 GB of bandwidth last month. :eek: (I think that's a fair bit)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts