Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, I need to boot into OS 9.2.2 everytime I want to play UT, simply because the UT OSX Beta 3 patch sucks so badly. No music, sluggish, and just completely unbearably SLOW. I make about 9 fps on average in OS X, compared to about 28-30 under OS 9. This patch has been under construction for months, if not about a year, and still no final release. What's going on there, Westlake, get us a good patch!

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I play in "9" and I don't mind. :D Hey! I'm a poet and I didn't even know it. ;) I've given up all hope to have a decent conversion, but it's okay. UT2 will be available by fall and as usual, all the bugs will be worked out from the PC version and it will work faster and look better on a Mac.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Finally got around to installing the UT demo on my friend's iMac a couple of days ago... OMG, what a difference! Amazing to see it (and Quake III) in full-textured glory. I can actually frag people now.

Our dialup is still not the greatest, so I doubt I'll be joining any multiplayer games for the time being (can anyone comment on playability over a 56k dialup?).

M.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:
Seriously, I need to boot into OS 9.2.2 everytime I want to play UT, simply because the UT OSX Beta 3 patch sucks so badly. No music, sluggish, and just completely unbearably SLOW. I make about 9 fps on average in OS X, compared to about 28-30 under OS 9. This patch has been under construction for months, if not about a year, and still no final release. What's going on there, Westlake, get us a good patch!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As frustrating as it is, there is no official UT patch for OS X.

the one that has been released by Westlake was an unofficial one being done by Glenda Adams, President of the company, on her free time. Since Westlake has ramped up poduction on alot of new and upcoming titles, she probably has her agenda full.

So the short answer is "There is no official UT for OS X."

The Preview 3 is the last chance she has had to update and release publically the OS X version.

The down side is that the company that released UT has no plans to make it a Carbonized application. Also, since it's a commercial product, it's not available to the "open source' programmers out there to pick up where Glenda has currently left off.

There is no official word on a new update for the OS X UT application, but I don't think it has been abandoned.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I just play Unreal Tournament on Windows XP and it runs like a champ! I'll just sit quietly and await my lynching ;)

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bjornbro:
UT2 will be available by fall and as usual, all the bugs will be worked out from the PC version and it will work faster and look better on a Mac.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sequel to UT is called UT2003 (Unreal Tournament 2003) and should be here by the end of April, I would think, if not sooner. Epic has a programmer working on the Unix and Mac port and it was demoed at MWSF in January.

There is also Unreal 2 which is a single player game, but no news has come out about a Mac port of it. Some PC users have said Unreal 2 isn't that great - the graphics are great, but the story line and length of the game isn't.

·
Registered
719 Posts
A windoze type friend of mine has UT 2003, and he says that the play is not nearly as good as UT. He suggested that I play a few rounds in a cypercafe before I plunk down my $$ on UT2003.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Britnell wrote:
A windoze type friend of mine has UT 2003, and he says that the play is not nearly as good as UT.

From what I've seen of the demo, UT 2003 is better than UT, if for no other reason than the lush graphics. I picked up a copy today (swapped it for MoO3), so I get to see if the demo is representative of the game or not.

Look for ut2003.flyingmonkeys.org soon :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts