Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Yesterday, while browsing on Firefox I got the multilingual grey curtain panic screen come up on my Intel iMac 23" FP. First time ever. Anyway, I followed the directions and power cycled, but then ended up with the white screen of death. My machine powers on, you hear the initial HD spool up, the power "chime" sound, and then white screen with the front LED cycling with 3 quick pulses over and over.

I tried all the suggested remedies (resetting SMC, PRAM). I also tried to run HW diags via CD -- CD is now in the drive and I can't remove it! It spools up, but thats it.

Any advice here? I am ready to take it in for service and am hoping I will not lose any HD data.

What do the 3 quick LED flashes indicate? I found a table on apple support pages that indicates this means "energy saver mode" but clearly this is not the case here.

Any advice?

P.S. I do have 2 parallels partitions (one for XP, one for Vista) but was not running Parallels at the time of the crash...

G

·
you might try holding down apple+v during bootup -- which will put you in verbose booting mode, you will see text only instead of just white applet logo screen, it migth give better clues as to the errors.

Also you can try booting from your install media, and from the Tools menu (think it's called tools) you can get to disk utility ... if you can get that far and see your drive try repairing it and see what happens.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Folks,
I tried all the suggested remedies (resetting SMC, PRAM). I also tried to run HW diags via CD -- CD is now in the drive and I can't remove it! It spools up, but thats it.
Starting up while holding down the mouse button should eject the CD. (You may need to connect the mouse directly to the Mac - not connected to the keyboard or through a hub.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts