Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone

this is my first post here, but iv always looked for mac help here. But now im stuck in a little pickle which i cant figure out.

A few days ago a friend of mine was having trouble with her macbook, so i offered to take a look at it.

At first when connecting the macbook to the power adapter the charger would just turn green then blink orange, so i did the first thing that would come to mind and boot it without the battery.

without the battery the macbook would boot and run for a few minuets then all of a sudden turn off.

with me living in lebanon atm, the only apple authorized dealer is the iStyle (which isn't a dealer, but an authorized "reseller") so i pass it by there for them to take a look.

what they came up with is that it needs a new logic board which will cost US $900 and will take 6 weeks to fix. they also noted that the mac burnt one of their chargers.

when i took it back home i tried to boot it back up. and it did run, even the battery charged up a little. 5 min pass and i see the screen go black and my magsafe led wasnt illuminated. tried it on one of my macs and sure enough it was dead.

now i know i need to try and replace the DC board (which i have already ordered) but i really would like to know if anyone has had any previous experiences with something like this!

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
I'm sure you've Googled the problem as there are lots of sites discussing MagSafe problems, and even wikipedia has links you might want to check out.

They range from replacing the power adapter or MagSafe board and/or even the logic board, and not always successful.

BTW: I hope you ordered the correct "DC board" as the Macbook A1181 included models from 2006 to 2009 and I'd be suspicious that they all used the same MagSafe board, but it appears that they are if your's is a 13" and you ordered a similar part as listed at MacBook MagSafe DC-In Board (922-7368, 922-7580, 922-8268, 922-8269 ) - iFixit

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
All MagSafe Boards for all pre-unibody MacBooks are the same.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation info.

Is there a simple fix for the OP's problem that you know of??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure you've Googled the problem as there are lots of sites discussing MagSafe problems, and even wikipedia has links you might want to check out.

They range from replacing the power adapter or MagSafe board and/or even the logic board, and not always successful.
thanks for the info :)

Iv googled it for days and couldnt find a similar situation. they either have one of the problems im experiencing, like blinking magsafe led. but i have found noting leading to the complete death of a charger.

i was just hoping someone with previous experience with this problem could advise me in the procedures i should be taking.

ill keep yall posted when i get my dc-board. which is gonna be 6 weeks from now.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
hmm... seem to be a few of these kinds of posts popping up. kinda odd this is kind of a common occurrence.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Try a Google on 'MacBook blowing out MagSafe power adapter' etc. and you'll find lots of instances, but unfortunately no real reasons given at most sites.

MagSafe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has some links to check.

I don't know what built-in protection the MagSafe power adapter has, but I came close to finding out a few monts ago when my cousin came over with her MB, and I noticed a small used paper staple attached to the magnet part of the MB connector. That could have created a complete short which I don't think would have been very good. ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts