Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a wireless network, connecting a host Cube running Jaguar with a DSL Sympatico connection to an iMac running OS 9. Each has an Airport card, with the Cube being run as a software basestation. However, there are some disadvantages with the software basestation, and I've come across some very attractive prices on two wireless router models. The first is a NetGear MR314, which I can get for $100; the second is the Linksys BEFW11S4, which I can get for $130; both new. Any advice on which, if either of these routers to buy would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Funny you mention the MR314...I've got one coming any day now (won in on ebay).

I'll let you know how it works out; one thing I noticed was that the Mac part of the user set-up manual (which I downloaded) is geared to OX 9.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
RicktheChemist wrote:
"AS for Wireless, if you can WIRE your world, the reliability of Cat 5e eternet cable is awesome compared to wireless."

In my experience, wireless is almost as reliable as wired *provided* you're in an area with good signal strength and there aren't too many computers on the wireless network. However, a wired network will probably be faster (100Mbps vs 11Mbps) and more secure.

As for which base station to use, I've had good luck with the Orinoco RG-1100 (both with Mac and PC computers connecting to it). I don't think it's got a router built-in, but I believe there's a version with a router.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
If you arent going to go with an Apple base Station, I would recommend Asante. Proxim or Netgear. I use a netgear router myself, and it works just dandy.

--PB

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PosterBoy:
I use a netgear router myself, and it works just dandy.

--PB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, everyone. I bought the NetGear for $100 with no GST (I'm in Alberta for the holidays!) PosterBoy, is yours the Netgear MR314? Did you have to set it up online, or did they provide the software?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Y'know, if you boost the signal coming out of your cube by making a much bigger antenna attachment, this might work as well.

This page links to some solutions, while this page goes completely nuts and gives a 7 kilometer range to a basestation...

I'm tempted to give it a try one of these days,,,

-SJ

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fox:
Thanks, everyone. I bought the NetGear for $100 with no GST (I'm in Alberta for the holidays!) PosterBoy, is yours the Netgear MR314? Did you have to set it up online, or did they provide the software?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually have a Netgear Wired Router and an ABS for Wireless. The router and the base station run like a top. We do use a Netgeat wireless AP and router at work, and it also runs no problems.

The routers from netgear are administered by logging into them with a web browser. type this into your web browser : http://192.168.0.1/ and you'll be off to the races.

--PB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts