Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure I understand the landscape for Windows emulators...

I need an emulator to run my accounts software (Sage) and a couple of other apps. Going to Connectix/MS I am puzzled by a few things:

- MS offers a 'stand alone' run Windows on your Mac version for US$129
- I don't understand how this compares with the standard versions that you can buy for W2k, XP pro, etc. (more $)
- On the Apple store, they only seem to sell v6.1 and the smallprint says that you need L3 cache as a system requirement

So if you have an Alu Pb 12, what are you supposed to do?...

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I thought VPC 4 with win 98 worked pretty well on a sawtooth G4 400, so unless MS did something to it, you should get excellent performance on the 867 pb.
You can get the app alone and just add your own version of Windows,
XP will be slow on any Mac.

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
I think the stand alone version was VPC with the DOS interface. If you have a M$ Windows CD and license you could boot from the command line and install. It seems now with the purchase of Connectix by M$ you can only purchase VPC with WIN 98/2000/XP so I hear from the retailers I deal with... By the way if your looking for some kind of performance I wouldn't load anything more than WIN 2000. I have VPC running with XP and its awful and SLOW.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Don't take a look at OpenOSX. As they will charge you money for free software.

Virtual PC is the best emulator out there, but it won't run on G5s and is kind of slow.

Bochs, which is the free open source software that OpenOSX is ripping people off with is dog slow but works. (They are ripping them off in that they are selling free software for $$).

Check www.emulation.net for a complete list of emulators for the Mac.

EDIT: Ok, maybe the bold type was a little over the top, but paying $25 US to a company that is simply providing software that you can download for free and use for free (Bochs) rather insulted me that they could get consumers to purchase what they could get for free so easily.

[ September 08, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Script Kiddie - I never meant it as free beer and paying for a better version is not a bad thing. Its just I've found Open OSX's wrapper for Bochs not suffecient. For a user who wants to use Bochs and install a new Operating System, knowing how the program actually works is way better then the wrapper provided. The wrapper reminds me of RealPC, and it makes setting some settings much easier, but IMNSHO, its not worth $25US. They are allowed to do such things, but I would more strongly suggest use Virtual PC, or learn how to use Bochs. All the tools are there for you to put it together with Bochs. You just have to follow the instructions given. Open OSX is allowed to do what they did, but I really dislike the idea of profiting off of other people's work by adding a simple wrapper.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Chealion,
Your wording was very clear:
"They are ripping them off in that they are selling free software for $$)." Did you read the gnu.org link?
But if you are willing to stop saying things like that I wont beat you over the head with it anymore.

Next thing I have issue with:
If the buyer feels that paying the money is worth the time savings then they have every right to profit.
If you believe their value added is not worth $25 then just say so without the misleading references to "free software". Let the free market decide (another use of "free") if its worth $25 also don't forget your time to money ratio may be different than the next guy --as well as your perception of "simple wrapper".

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Script Kiddie - I read the GNU.org page twice. I still really dislike OpenOSX charging $25 for a wrapper and Bochs. The ripping them off is over the top, so if you want to bash me over the head for it, so be it.

In hindsight, I guess I could of just said: In my opinion WinTel isn't worth the $25 they charge you. In any way, shape or form.

Keep it Simple Dumba$$... Might help some. (Directed at me).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts