Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Visual Hub was still available it was pretty much the only converter I used.

I'm wondering which video converter people use today with El Capitan.

I tried Video Monkey to convert a QT file to MP4.
Conversion seems to be OK but the audio level is way down from the original.

On Visual Hub one could increase the audio by up to 300% but there doesn't seem to be any option on Video Monkey to do the same thing.

I don't think the audio levels should change when converting but they often do.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to use Handbrake a lot years ago.

But then I had several instancers where Handbrake wouldn't recognize the video I wanted to convert and a short time later, when Handbrake with an update eliminated converting to .avi, that was the end for me.
At the time there were still one G4 and one G5 in the family and they didn't have powerful enough processors (even after upgrades) to play mp4 files.
AVI files were fine, so I needed a converter that could output avi.

But based on the comments, I just upgraded to Handbrake 1.0.7 and will try an .mov to mp4 conversion with that.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did a conversion with Handbrake.

Interesting that the final mp4 file size is only about half of that when the conversion is done with Video MOnkey.
I didn't expect the file size to be axactly the same, but only half???

However, the audio is even lower and barely audible even when at maximum setting.
That's with default settings on Handbrake

I see they have an audio gain control but that only shows numbers from -5 to 14.
Couldn't find anything in documentation - any one know if those are dbs?
I want to increase the audio but also not overload by setting the level too high.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
IIRC conversion to avi required Perian, and I don't think there is such a beast anymore.

I typically use Compressor. But handbrake is pretty decent too.

As for your audio problem, it may not be gain at all. If the original was 5.1, you may be discarding the other tracks (i.e. Handbrake isn't down mixing from 5.1. to 2.0)

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for your audio problem, it may not be gain at all. If the original was 5.1, you may be discarding the other tracks (i.e. Handbrake isn't down mixing from 5.1. to 2.0)
That could explain it, but in this case I'm sure that is not the issue.

I have attended some of these sessions that were filmed where I wanted to download the video and these videos were done by amateurs with a pretty basic video set up.
I doubt the audio was even in stereo since it was only a lecture and the only mike was the one on the recorder.
I'm going to run Handbrake again and set the gain to maximum to see what happens.

I wish the handbrake documentation was a bit better.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
There is a forum for handbrake you could try, might find more detailed answers for the problems you are having
https://forum.handbrake.fr

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did search the Handbrake forum but nothing came up about the low audio or the meaning of the gain control numbers.

I ran the conversion again - once with the gain set to 15 (the maximum) and a second time with the gain set to 8 (half way compromise)

With the gain at 15, the volume was certainly loud enough but the audio became pretty much unintelligible.
It's not that it was distorted in the normal sense, syllables and even words seem to be completely missing which made it pretty much impossible to understand what was being said.
With the gain at 8 the audio was still loud enough (by cranking up the volume on the Mac) and the audio was not as garbled as with the gain at 15.

Ideal would be the gain setting a 0 if the audio level stayed the same as for the original .mov recording.

I may register for the Handbrake forum to ask the questions when I have a bit more time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts