Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with a Sony Clie PDA? How does it compare with palm branded PDA's? How well does the missing sync software for the Clie work with OSX? I want something with color that can handle pictures and movies along with the usual palmOS goodies.
Let me know.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
from what I recall, syncing movies in X is a little challenge latent (with CLIÉs). I recall reading something about that, somewhere.. but I could be wrong, but it did affect my decision. I've actually not yet sync'ed an mpeg yet on mine (Zire71). but I will add that the basic syncing is pretty smooth. Palm keeps making the claim that they are doing err-thing to make the MAC OS experience as flawless as possible. :confused: decent do far.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
;) What, you're not going to hold out for the next MessagePad / NewtonX ? :D

...am I simply deranged, or unreasonably optimistic?

:cool:
M

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The Sony Clie's wont work with a mac without a third party conduit called 'The Missing Sync'. They make some nice PDAs, but I find in the lower end the Palm branded units feel a little better built. Also, all the current Palm branded units (excepting the Zire) come with a sync cradle, while a lot of the Clie's come with just cables, which is a little less convenient.

All in all, I'd say the Zire71 is the best value at the moment, but if you are willing to wait until about wednesday, there is going to be a new palm, and the Tungsten T should drop in price as a result.

--PB

·
Registered
656 Posts
which unit? i couldn't find it on their website, and we haven't heard of anything from our palm rep yet. is it a palm unit, or something made by someone else?

i'm actually excited. i sell this stuff at work and i want to keep on top of things.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The Sony Clie's wont work with a mac without a third party conduit called 'The Missing Sync'. They make some nice PDAs, but I find in the lower end the Palm branded units feel a little better built. Also, all the current Palm branded units (excepting the Zire) come with a sync cradle, while a lot of the Clie's come with just cables, which is a little less convenient.
This is wrong. I have a 615C that syncs perfectly without the "Missing Sync". The latter supports some features of the Clie (the movie and picture syncing for e.g.) but if you are looking for a high res colour PDA that's plays nice with iSync, iCal etc., the Clie's are just fine.

AFAIK, all of the colour Clies come with USB cradles at present.

So far I have not found anything I want to do that I can't on the Clie. The only out of pocket expense I had was to upgrade to the premium version of the dataviz office to go suite for syncing with Office X.

·
Registered
656 Posts
the tungsten c is already out.. is that what you meant, posterboy? it's alright, but not the greatest. too big, and the intel processor inside irks me a bit. then there's the tungsten w mobile phone, which has been out for a long time now.

speaking of price, actually, the tungsten t is at about $479 right now.. the cheapest i've ever seen them at.

the zire 71 though.. very sexy unit, and comes with the cradle and case. great value, although grab a memory card. the 16 MB of RAM will hold only a few mp3s. this is everyone's best bet, unless you really have to have bluetooth... then go for the tungsten t.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
The problem is that the only decent piece of PDA software now sits on defunct machines... By this i mean the truly excellent PSION Series 3, 5 and Revo. When I bought my Palm I couldn't believe how weak the OS and software were compared to the 5-10 year old Psions! I guess Newton users must feel the same.

Anyway, I am considering buying one of the do-it-all phones which use the Symbian OS. Does anyone have experience with the Sony Ericsson P800 or any other Symbian OS phone (for PDA functionality)?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up poster boy. The T2 looks like a nice package with 16MB and blue tooth. I think I am still leaning more toward your original sugestion; the Zire 71. The price/feature set is hard to beat here. The sony seems a little overpriced for what you get, but a nice unit all the same. Maybe I should wait to at least see the T2 up close.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Two new Sony Clies are coming out soon as well as price drops on some current models. I like the Sony's better, they are made in Japan and have aluminum cases. I was looking at a Palm, but the Tungsten is the cheapest piece of junk I've ever held.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I have had a few minutes to check out the T2 up close now, and the only major cosmetic difference is that it is silver instead of that blueish colour the original T is.

But the screen is easily twice the quality of the T or the Zire71, it is nice and bright and very very sharp.

Also, twice the memory of the T or the Zire71 with 32MB.

Another interesting thing is the support for Graffiti 2 (which the Zire71 has bu the T lacks), which while it will take some getting used to seems like it might be easier to use in the ong run.

The processor on all three models (tungsten T, T2 and Zire71) is the same. 144Mhz ARM.

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
T2 looks good. I really like that compact shape. Man, butthey need some ppl like that good lady that does all the product placement @ Apple. I mean, I would have called the unit T3, placed it in the new movie, start the buzz/campaign around that, and they release it. Did you cats see what Samsung did with their new phone for Matrix:Reloaded ?? Pretty big campaign. [sigh], anyhow, just commenting.

Is the T2 on shelves???

H!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I love the new Clies. The wide screen displays and reversible keypads (for typing or tablet entry), integrated bluetooth and 11b wireless ... what more could you want (OK a price less than a cheap laptop would be nice

It is amazing that they squashed all that into a PDA size package that's ~2/3" thick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts