Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which PC PCI video cards can be flahsed for Mac?

any info. on flashing such cards?
i was hoping to get a ATI Rage pro 128 and flash it for a mac

any hints or ideas?

i have already perused xlr8mac.com

if anyone has any experience with this i would like to read their story.

i prefer ati cards, but am not locked in

thanx in advance.

[ May 23, 2003, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: macspectrum ]

·
Registered
507 Posts
Definitely not:

GeForce3 Ti200
GeForce3 Ti500

I've tried these two above, and had no success. I hear that these two never got Big Endian Code, bit only Little Endian Code. So, they'll never work on the Mac.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
The PCI Radeon 7000 is mac flashable, but your need a PC to do that actual flashing

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Or one could just buy the Mac version.
So its $70 more. The PC version is cheaper if your time isn't worth much.

I've heard of these cards working after being flashed but being flaky.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Actually it isn't $70 differance, it is more like $130 differance and it only takes two minutes from the time you open the box.

If you use an original ATI card, and not a 3rd party card it will be 100% rock solid. Some 3rd party cards use slower memory so with the ATI firmware it is running overclocked.

All it takes is a:

a:\atiflash -m a:\7kmacrom.bin

It will then give you an error message for obvious reasons, ignore the error message wait about 45 seconds and your done.

I can absolutly guarantee it will work if you buy a 32mb retail Radeon 7000 (P/N: ATE-71-6040) it is $69.99 at CompuSmart with a $15 CND mail-in rebate (if still in effect)

I have been using once since I upgraded to 10.2 with the QE hack,

The only reason to buy the Mac one would be if you have a DVI display or want to run duel displays, but in that case you could buy the Radeon VE and flash it.

Or if you would perfer I also have a Voodoo 3 I could be very easily persuaded to part with. But it only works in Mac OS X as a frame buffer, absolutly ZERO acceleration

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I have to agree, flashing the 7000 is a no brainer. I don't use the QE hack, but it's been rock solid with the 32MB DDR version.

I paid just over $50 for mine, if I could have purchased the ATI Mac version for $120, I might have considered it. Unfortuantely, I've only seen the Mac 7000 for $120 US! Which at the time was well over $200 CAD...

Use the search engine on this board, I've attached links at least twice. Three times aint gonna happen...

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was just looking to experiment
i wanted a "spare" PCI video card that could;
1. speed up my 8500/180 "test "ASIP machine
2. be a backup video card in case my Mac Radeon 7000, in my b/w G3, goes "kaput"
3. since i have access to wholesale prices, i thought it would be worth the $s to experiment

speaking of Radeon 7000 as someone mentioned, any instructions on how to flash the card?

i have two Win2k servers in house to play with

thanx in advance

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trevor 10.2 kindly noted

a:\atiflash -m a:\7kmacrom.bin
I assume the flash utility is available on ATI's website?
AND
where do I find the 7kmacrom.bin file?

I prefer to stay with the ATI card since I would store the card in my PowerMac 8500/180. Hey, it's gotta be somewhere. It might as well be in a Mac. I would be using OS 9 on the 8500 and for a backup card, I don't need Quartz Extreme as I am still only testing OS X.

once again, thanx in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could you email it to myself as well? What exactly are the instructions for flashing? Would the 7000 be the only card in the PC or do you need a second video card. I have seen that mentioned before. Now I need to find a place to get a 7000 in Ottawa cheap.

Thanks,
Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts